Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.PHP Form Process Files not working

I have been running SL Server to host websites for a couple of years.

On these websites, I use standard html forms, but I use .php files to process the form data through an email.

These forms have always worked properly, except for when I first got the server.

I had to enable the .php5_module in the Server Settings.

Ever since then things have been working flawlessly.

Out of the blue the forms have completely stopped working.

No changes have been made to the server whatsoever.

The .php5_module is still on and code hasnt been edited at all in the process files.

My IT guys is stumped and so am I.

Does anyone have any theories we could possibly try out?

I cant find anything wrong that would be causing the .php files to stop working randomly.

Thank you!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 10.6.8 Server

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 11:56 PM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2013 5:06 AM in response to scarper

There's not much we can do for a case that's simply stopped working and particularly involving php and its various "interesting" behaviors; what's usually involved with resolving these cases are the details of the error; the log messages, settings, any diagnostics, specific symptoms, etc. Details.

FWIW, there are always changes being made to a web server and its environment; I prefer to never assume the configuration is static. This whether the Apache logs — or something else on the system — is filling the available storage, random files are getting corrupted — as inherently happens with both soft and particularly hard errors that arise with computer storage devices — security attacks are ongoing and evolving, breached web servers are getting blacklisted for spam and their mail dropped, remote mail servers are updated and now detecting DNS configuring errors in the sending server and dropping messages, etc. All that — and more — happens... Even when "nothing changes."

In particular — though I'd expect your IT support would have investigated this — is there anything interesting or relevant found from reading your Apache web server logs? That's the usual first stop for these cases.

Are there any infestations of malware or the potential for a security breach here? You're using php and mail, so you're a target. See if the attackers made a mistake and corrupted some part of your configuration after establishing a breach.

Any particular patterns of the files involved when things go sideways, or any weird (non-execute) protections on files?

Any particular mail messages getting dropped? (If the mail is getting sent per your logs, have you checked the mail server logs on the receiving mail server to see if the messages are simply being dropped as spam?)

Jul 17, 2013 8:42 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hello, you actually assisted me last time when you had me enable the .php5_module.

What really confuses me is that my logs do not show me anything unusal. My forms seems to process just fine in the logs. They do not show me any errors. The data simply just does not go through.

I havent physically even been on ther server in months. If its not broken, I dont touch it.

Its been in the same place and the monitor has been unplugged for months now, until I realized this issue.

My IT support has really looked into the possibility of a security breach, but they have ruled that out.

I really wish I had more details, right now im trying to find them I guess.

Thanks for your input! I will see if I can dig up some more information.

.PHP Form Process Files not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.