Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning high res on Mountain Lion?

Hi, I'm trying to scan something very small in my all in one printer/scanner (Epson Stylus SX200 to be exact) and I'm having trouble getting it high res enough.

I'm getting to the scanner through system preferences and it just doesn't give enough pro options or choices. On my Windows machine I have Epson scan and smart panel installed that give many more options but the machine is old and lags way behind my current model iMac.

I'm wondering if there is any third party apps that I can scan through on my Mac? Epson scan and smart panel are not supported in Mountain Lion.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 3:03 AM

6 replies

Jul 17, 2013 3:40 AM in response to saddact

Scanning in high resolution may not get you the results you expect and may be overkill for the final result depending what you do with the scan; i.e. print, display, etc. In as much as the Epson Stylus SX200 is not directly supported on the Mac via Epson Scan program try a third party program like VueScan.

Jul 18, 2013 6:49 AM in response to saddact

How good of a result you can get from a small original depends very much on the optical quality of your scanner, its Dmax, and the software being used.

Optics quality isn't just the scanner's touted DPI. It's also the quality of the lens system itself. You could have a scanner with a high DPI step rating, but still get lousy scans if it has a cheap lens.

Your model has a scanning DPI of 1200 (ignore the larger number), which is okay. No idea what Dmax it is, can't find any information that mentions it. But considering its price, I can't imagine it's any higher than 3.0, if it's even more than 3. This is at least, if not more important than resolution. Especially if it's a slide, or other small transparency you're trying to scan. The density of slides is much higher than reflective items, and so requires a higher Dmax to capture any type of highlight and shadow detail.

Given the model, you just aren't going to be able to get as good a scan as you would like from a small original. It's physically incapable of doing so. Reflective or transparent.

Scanning high res on Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.