Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Epsom 1250 photo scanner that will not work with my new iMac. I get an error report indicating 'scanner ot available' and the indicator light on the scanner goes to red.

When I try to use the scanner I get error message 'scanner not available' and the scanner indicator goes red . I have contacted Epsom who advised me to run System update on my Mac several times which I havedone to no avail. The scanner is in working order as it works satifactorily with my 'Windows' laptop. The scanner is listed as being included in the driver updates but It would appear that the driver on my iMac supplied in any update is not suitable.

I am currently running OSX 10.8.4

What steps should I now persue to be able to use the scanner?

Alan.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 7:30 AM

1 reply

Jul 19, 2013 12:16 PM in response to Susiesdad

Howdy Susiesdad,

I would suggest the troubleshooting steps from this article named Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3147

Don't let the name throw you off, the troubleshooting is relevant for scanners as well.

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.

All the best,

Sterling

I have an Epsom 1250 photo scanner that will not work with my new iMac. I get an error report indicating 'scanner ot available' and the indicator light on the scanner goes to red.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.