Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use time capsule with a pc

I am thinking about getting time capsule for my home. My wife has a pc. Can she back up to the time capsule and ho difficult is it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 2:13 PM

You can get a PC to backup to TC but it is much easier not to.

If it is a desktop PC buy a USB external drive.

If you have to to use the TC.. recognise that mixing Time Machine backup and data (which is what the PC backup is) can cause issues at some point. Also windows low end version ie home do not have built in backup that work to network drives.. not that you would ever want to use MSBackup ever anyway.. buy a backup software that is good and works on networks.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2013 2:13 PM in response to bagel77

You can get a PC to backup to TC but it is much easier not to.

If it is a desktop PC buy a USB external drive.

If you have to to use the TC.. recognise that mixing Time Machine backup and data (which is what the PC backup is) can cause issues at some point. Also windows low end version ie home do not have built in backup that work to network drives.. not that you would ever want to use MSBackup ever anyway.. buy a backup software that is good and works on networks.

Jul 17, 2013 2:36 PM in response to bagel77

For desktop computers always use external drives.. they are faster and more reliable than network drives. And cheaper.. plus the drive can be formatted in the native OS format.

But if you have a laptop or both are laptops, connecting external drives is just one more thing to be forgotten.. whereas the TC is a wireless backup point designed by apple specifically for Time Machine. It was never designed for any other OS.. but you can store files in it.

Read the info from our TC and TM expert Pondini.. especially on the issues of sharing data and TM backups.

http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

See Q3 in particular.

You can use a USB drive plugged into the TC to keep the backups from the PC separate to the Mac.

how to use time capsule with a pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.