Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to back up data?

Hi guys

I have an external usb hdd. What is the best way to back up my data. I have a lot of important photos.

Also contemplating getting a NAS storage sometime in the future. How would this work?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), MacBook 4,1 2.1 GHz

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 12:40 PM

1 reply

Jul 18, 2013 7:04 AM in response to strawberryassassin

Important data such as your photos should always be backed up to at least 2 different places. I would suggest for long term storage burn the files to DVD media. The 2nd backup can be to a hard drive. You can use any number of backup software applications. Apple's Time Machine is included with your operating system - see the web page put together by Pondini- one of the high level people on these forums.

Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner is an alternative. I have used it for a number of years and found it reliable.

Depending on the importance of your data you may also want to consider an offsite backup using a service such as Carbonite or CrashPlan. This protects your data against catastrophic failure such as complete hardware loss due to fire, flood or theft.

You can read up on NAS here.

Best of luck.

Best way to back up data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.