Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

35GB Optional Content - Best Way To Backup?

Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked before (with regard to how to back up the individual content downloads of Logic Pro 9), but before I attempt it with a massive 35GB of additional content, I would just like to ask what is truly the best way of backing up the content of Logic Pro X?

I've seen a topic here that said the content is downloaded to a hidden folder and then deleted after you type your account password (once it's installed).

The thread suggested to make a copy of the downloaded package on an external drive before typing your password, so that it could be installed again if you wanted to do a fresh install at any time. Is that still the best way to go about it?

Thanks again for your time, any help you can give would be most welcome. 🙂

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Logic Pro X 10.0.0

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:06 PM

Okay, so it seems I will now answer my own question in seven easy stages!

1. Using the Finders 'Go to Folder' menu option, enter "/private/var/folders/" (without the quotes).

2. A look in the various folders will reveal folder called "com.apple.MusicApps".

3. Inside, there's a folder called "audiocontentdownload.apple.com".

4. Finally, inside here is a folder called "lp10_ms3_content_2013". The downloaded content packages are temporarily stored here.

5. Once downloading of a package is complete, Logic Pro X will prompt for your Admin password before completing the installation process.

6. Before entering the password, copy the content installer packages to another location.

7. The installation can then be carried out (and the original packages will be automatically deleted by the install process).

Thanks me, that was very helpful... This solved my question so 10 points to me! 😝

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2013 3:06 PM in response to Richard Oaten

Okay, so it seems I will now answer my own question in seven easy stages!

1. Using the Finders 'Go to Folder' menu option, enter "/private/var/folders/" (without the quotes).

2. A look in the various folders will reveal folder called "com.apple.MusicApps".

3. Inside, there's a folder called "audiocontentdownload.apple.com".

4. Finally, inside here is a folder called "lp10_ms3_content_2013". The downloaded content packages are temporarily stored here.

5. Once downloading of a package is complete, Logic Pro X will prompt for your Admin password before completing the installation process.

6. Before entering the password, copy the content installer packages to another location.

7. The installation can then be carried out (and the original packages will be automatically deleted by the install process).

Thanks me, that was very helpful... This solved my question so 10 points to me! 😝

Aug 26, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Richard Oaten

Hey, RICHARD! I am a NEWBIE to most of this! And I need some tips/help, please.

I have been downloading the additional content FOREVER! I mean, like 3 days! 😮

I am in rural Oklahoma, so maybe that is why this is taking so long!

And I have been leaving my Macbook Pro on CONSTANTLY to get all this downloaded!

At this rate, maybe I'll have it all in another 2 or 3 days!

I used your directions above and found about 18 + BG (so far!) in the content folder you referenced.

See the "partial screenshot" below.

I guess that AFTER everything is downloaded I should COPY all this content to another place (like my 2TB external drive). Right? ...

THEN.... I should "double click" each one of the little boxes to "install" each one individually....

Is this correct?

I have been doing online research and looking at all these discussion topids for the last 3 or 4 days, but THIS topic that YOU started (with this tip) is the ONLY one that has HELPED me so far. 🙂

ANY tips at all would REALLY, REALLY be appreciated! 🙂

THANK YOU!

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Old Tech Chick

The double clicking is only needed when you want to reinstall the backups in the even something fails. The first time around, Logic will automatically run them for you as soon as the download is complete. It willas you for you password before it starts installing (so it can access system folders) and at that point you leave the password prompt open and copy the files in the background.

As soon as you've finished (and wait till it's finished before you do this) type you password and Logic will install them one after the other automattically. It's much faster when logic does it too as theres no clicking through menus.

Hoep that clears things up. 🙂

Gen

Aug 26, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Old Tech Chick

Hi,

The items you need to backup are the packages (the ones that look like cardboard boxes), the white files aren't needed when you backup, as they only instruct the package to be deleted after they are installed.

The total download size is around 36.35GB - when installed, it's closer to 50GB - so be warned, it will take up quite a lot of hard drive space!

One other important fact. If you need to reinstall Logic Pro X at any time, you must be sure to re-download the Logic Pro X App itself from the App Store and not re-install it from a backup. If you keep a copy of the App and install it from that, when an upgrade becomes available, you will not be able to download it. You must re-install the App from the App Store or (when you try to upgrade) a warning box will appear and say "You did not purchase Logic Pro X from the Mac App Store". You're fine to re-install the content from a backup, but not the App, at least from my experience.

Hope that helps!

35GB Optional Content - Best Way To Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.