Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote export to Quicktime fails with any animation

I'm making recordings of Keynote slideshows, and I keep running into the same problem: any time I include an animation, of any sort, the export to Quicktime fails. Any advice?

Specifically, regardless of the format (whether it's an animated GIF, a Quicktime movie, or ???), I have the animation set to begin immediately, on transition. I can see it animating while I'm talking. When I export it to Quicktime, my voice continues, but Keynote remains stuck on the first frame. Sometimes it does animate a little bit, toward the end of the time that I'm on the slide, but regardless, voice and video sync are way, way off for the rest of the movie.

Has anyone else encountered this and fixed it? I've seen one person be advised to export using fixed timing, but that's not an option for me: the amount of time I spend on the different slides varies quite a bit.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Keynote '09 v5.3 (1170)

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 3:30 PM

9 replies

Jul 18, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi, Gary. I'm exporting full quality, large, including audio and slideshow; the specs show

Video compressor:

Video size: 1024 x 768

Frames per second: 24

When I select "Custom..." format, the codec listed is H.264. I assume (?) that means that Keynote is defaulting to H.264 in the "Full Quality" format as well, but I can't tell. Thanks.

Nov 17, 2013 1:55 PM in response to hannafromeidi

Yeah, it's pretty simple- with your keynote slideshow open, just open quicktime player, go to "file" then "new screen recording". A little box will open with a record button. Press record, and then play your slideshow in keynote from the beginning. You will have to wait and let it record in real time. After it is done, it will prompt you to save it as a quicktime movie. Then you just have to open iMovie, click "import" and then select the quicktime movie you just made. Then click the musical note button on the lower right, select the mp3 of the VO track or music that you want to use, and drag that onto the timeline. You should right-click and select "detach audio" so you can move it around and get the timing you need. Then just "finalize project" and you're done! Easy-peezie.

And I have no idea about future keynote updates...overall it's a nice program but the exporting problems definitely need to be addressed.

Keynote export to Quicktime fails with any animation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.