Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Reset 10.6.8 HELP!

I just gotten the Snow Leopard Install DVD, but it's not working. I have tried other disk to see if the optical drive works and it does.

Any other method or is there an explanation for this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 1:50 PM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2013 2:20 PM in response to ComeOnSon92

Is it a retail disk with a picture of a Snow Leopard on it, or is it gray? If the latter, you purchased a machine specific disk which will not work with other models.

Also, what model Mac are you trying to install SL on? Hold down the Option key and click on the Apple at the top left, then choose System Information. Note here what type of Mac it says you have. For instance, this is mine:

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Jul 17, 2013 2:46 PM in response to ComeOnSon92

Your Mac is a Core Duo 2 and supports the Mac OS all way up to the current 10.8.x Mountain Lion. The retail disk should most certainly work.

Question. Is the drive you're trying to install to using a GUID partition map, or Apple Partition Map? Snow Leopard and later requires GUID. Though this isn't really the issue since your Mac isn't reading the disk in the first place.

When you say you've tried another disk which worked, was that another DVD, or a CD? It's an important distinction since DVD drives have two lasers. One for reading CDs, and the other for DVDs. So it's entirely possible to still read CD disks, but not DVDs if the laser for DVDs isn't working. Try any other disk you know is a DVD and see if it shows up on the desktop. Any DVD movie disk you have will do.

Factory Reset 10.6.8 HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.