Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I get text on my iPad? Roommate has iPhone and iPad like myself gets text both places. The only difference seems to be her phone number is listed before her email address. Can't get it to add my number.

Why can't I get text on my iPad? My roommate has a iphone and iPad like myself and she gets text. Only difference is her cell number is listed before her email address. My cell number is no there and won't let me add it.

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 3:52 PM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2013 4:40 PM in response to Hbound

I assume that you mean that you do have an iPhone because messages will not work with any other type of cell phone. You should be able to add your phone number in Settings>Messages>Send & Receive at>You can be reached by iMessages at, if your phone number is lited in there, select it and then uncheck your email address and then the iPad will be using the phone number just like the iPhone.

If you phone number is not listed in there, you probably have to sign out/turn off Messages on the phone and the iPad and then start over again on the phone - and then your phone number should be accessible to use on the iPad.

Read this support article and pay attention to the information at the very end.

iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Jul 10, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Hbound

This happened to me with the activation of another device to my iCloud access to use as an iPod...

Pretty simple solution>>>

On your IPHONE, go to Settings > Messages

1) make sure iMessages is turned on

2) Go to 'Text Messaging Forwarding' in the same menu and turn on the device (iPad, etc.) you have registered to receive messages

This should sole your issue. If you still have trouble, I would suggest calling 611 to talk to Tech Support for your mobile carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc.)

Good Luck 🙂

Why can't I get text on my iPad? Roommate has iPhone and iPad like myself gets text both places. The only difference seems to be her phone number is listed before her email address. Can't get it to add my number.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.