9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 9:35 AM by rkaufmann87
IKH Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Tried looking for home/library/calendar. In order to back up my lost calenda revents with time machine, I would like to know where those events are stored so I don't have to back up my whole computer. As mentioned in the discussion table there is no calendar in the library folder.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (47,240 points)

Have you attempted to restore the calendar app to an earlier time when you knew the events were there?

• IKH Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

No, I did not as I thought that is only the app and not its contents.

Give it a try.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (154,645 points)

If you synchronize any of your calendars with a server, disable that synchronization. Quit Calendar.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Calendars

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder selected. Enter Time Machine and restore that folder from the snapshot you want.

Relaunch Calendar and test. Your calendars should be as they were when the snapshot was taken. If you don't sync with a server, stop here.

If you do sync some of the calendars with a server, select each one in turn and then select

File ▹ Export ▹ Export…

from the menu bar. You'll get ICS files with the filename extension ".ics".

Re-enable sync. Usually, all the calendars you just restored will be deleted. That's not a problem.

Create a new calendar on the server for each one you exported and want to sync:

File ▹ New Calendar

Then import the calendar from the corresponding ICS file by double-clicking it. Follow the prompts to import the new events to the calendar you just created.

For calendars that you don't want to sync, just import them again. They'll appear in the calendar list under On My Mac.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Thank you for your help. I have some problems following your directions: 1- how do I stop sync? 2- as mentined I cannot find /Library/Calendars.

Any further help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IKH

The ~ symbol signifies your username . The easiest method to navigate to

~/library/calendars

Is in Finder - Go menu - Go to... And copy and paste the path into the search field and hit enter.

Thanks for your continuing help. I know that cidilla stands for my user name. However. I believe my user name is simply my first and last name without a space. When I typed that into the go to folder I was told that the folder doesn't exist. I found my user name by looking on my HD in the users folder. is that correct? and if what then.... Your dirctions said copy and paste...from where... I was asked to type it in.

Thanks

IKH

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (154,645 points)

1. Uncheck Enable this account in the Accounts tab of the Calendar preference dialog.

2. That's because it doesn't exist. Please review the instructions and follow them exactly. Don't do something else that you think will have the same effect.

I hate to be critical but you are not following directions. I said to copy and paste

~/library/calendars

This would have been much easier had you gone this route. However you are in capable hands, Linc knows his stuff so I'm going to bow out so as not to confuse matters.