Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail attachments not downloading (shows download arrow icon only)

Mountain Lion's Mail seems to be very flakey.

The main problem I have is that quite often when an email comes in with an attachement all I see is an icon with a download arrow. When I click it nothing happens. Usually I have to open the message in a new window, click loads of times until eventually it opens (usually several copies of it).

These are not big files, images, pdfs or .ppt files usually. No more than a meg. Often there are multiple attachements and maybe one or two ar displayed in the body (if images) the others are download icons.

Activity shows the mail coming in and that it takes a little wile to download as if the attachment is being transferred.

Its getting really anoyying. Never had this problem before in Lion or previous.

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 9:09 AM

I had this problem, really annoying, the attachment just sits there saying downloading instead of showing the progress. I quit mail, relaunched it, then it downloaded.

9 replies

Jul 18, 2013 2:25 AM in response to nbar

Yes IMAP.

"All Messages and Attachments" is enabled.

I can see the pop up and I've tried doing a Save All.. directing to a specific folder, but the files don't download.

They will eventually appear after fiddling with those menus and repeatedly clicking the icons for about 5 mins.

Other issues, which may or may not be related, include incoming messages appearing in Activity but not appearing in any mail box or folder (Junk, Trash, Inbox or Google Mail's Spam) and emails remaining marked unread in a smart mailbox depite having been read in the Inbox.

Jul 18, 2013 2:35 AM in response to hozepipe

Just change the default location to save your attachments too if you have trouble finding this folder.

Save them to a folder on your desktop if you like.

In mail preferences > General > Downloads Folder: > Choose "Other..." > Select destination folder of your choice.

incoming messages appearing in Activity but not appearing in any mail box This is normal.

emails remaining marked unread in a smart mailbox depite having been read in the Inbox. Normal as well, very annoying, I haven't bothered to figure out if there is a way to troubleshoot it. It may have to do with the server side options as well depending on your client. In particular, I get annoyed by "flagged" messages showing up with unread icons.

Jul 18, 2013 2:49 AM in response to nbar

I don't have a problem finding the folder I choose to download to - that's not the issues. They just don't appear until they're good and ready. We're talking files are few hundred k in size. I have 100Meg broadband, but it's like I'm on a dial up. Thing is Mail completes the "Incoming Messages" part so they seem to have been downloaded along with the email but they are displayed as if I've selected an option to not download them from the server until I click on them. Which would be an annoynance even if they did subsequently download, but they don't even bloody do that.

Jul 19, 2013 3:28 AM in response to hozepipe

OK, it's happening right now and looking at Activity its the "Caching of Attachements" that's taking ages. These do happen to bi bigger files (11MB total of two images). But it shouldn't take 10 mins to download 11MB!

If I click on the download icon I get a pop up message asking if I want to download - I click download. Nothing.

Jul 19, 2013 8:40 AM in response to hozepipe

Please follow these directions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Quit and relaunch Mail, and test. If the problem is resolved, you may have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Mail attachments not downloading (shows download arrow icon only)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.