Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage cannot activate after moving to new operator with same number (MNP)

Hi

I recently started using a new mobile operator, but kept my number from the previous operator.

After endless attempts at activating iMessage, I always get "Cannot activate iMessage".

I tried endless things: completely wiping out my device and starting from scratch without restoring from backup, working on Wi-Fi, working on cellular, changing DNS address, logging out of iMessage on my Mac. I have also verified that I am able to send text messages to international destinations.

I'm using an iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1.3.

Please help! I am desperate here.

Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 12:48 AM

22 replies

Aug 12, 2013 4:40 PM in response to ytimon001

Same thing here in Mexico, I switched from Telcel to Movistar and now it wont activate. The weird thing is that upon checking my friends iphones several of them wont activate imessage through the phone number, just email

I got some in Movistar, Telcel even a friend on AT&T here in Mexico cant activate iMessage, whats going on? I called apple my carrier nobody knows

Feb 1, 2015 5:50 PM in response to arturoimaz

Hello. I had exactly the same problem, a few weeks ago I switched from Telcel operator to Movistar Mexico and iMessage / Facetime were unable to activate. The point is that in some plans, Movistar does not allow to send "international" SMS , even the fact that you have unlimited messages to national carriers ( within Mexico ). So you have to purchase an additional "recharge bag" starting from 30 MXN , which will allow your iPhone to send the SMS which will activate iMessage / Facetime. This was the fix ! Best regards.

In Spanish here :

Hola. Tuve exactamente el mismo problema, hace algunas semanas me cambie del operador Telcel a Movistar Mexico y entonces iMessage / Facetime ya no se podian activar. El punto es que en algunos "planes", Movistar no permite enviar SMS "internacionales", aun cuando tienes mensajes ilimitados a operadores nacionales ( dentro de Mexico ). Asi que lo que tienes que hacer es comprar una "bolsa adicional de recarga" que puede ser desde 30 pesos mexicanos, lo cual le permitira a tu iPhone que envie el SMS , que activara iMessage / Facetime. Esto soluciono el problema !. Saludos.

Mar 19, 2015 10:22 AM in response to ytimon001

I have an old iPod Touch with old software that can no longer be updated:

iOS version 6.1.6

I've been searching for a solution to my iMessage login problem for months and tried everything from those frustrating links and all the tips from other users.

Here is what finally worked:

1) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On

2) Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically > On

3) Reboot device until Apple logo appears

4) Settings > Messages > Sign In

iMessage cannot activate after moving to new operator with same number (MNP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.