Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA gone on 2008 MacBook Pro - cost to repair?

Hi

I think my old 2008 MacBook Pro has suffered the NVIDIA fail... no response to the screen (or to external). I have couple of resets to try when I get home which I discovered this morning, but think it's definitely gone.

Does anyone know a rough cost of what this might be to repair/replace please?? Was going to be up for sale to help fund a new one, so want to weigh up putting it right against selling for parts.

Not a great week for me and MBPs.... *sigh*

Thanks!

Ben

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 2:05 AM

6 replies

Jul 18, 2013 2:07 AM in response to Zerodeluxe

The GPU is soldered onto the logic board, so the whole logic board has to be replaced. This makes the repair an expensive one, costing a half of the price of the MacBook or more. If it's cheaper, you are lucky, because the logic board is the most expensive part.

Considering this, you may want a new MacBook Pro if the cost is high

Dec 8, 2013 4:17 PM in response to Zerodeluxe

I don't know what it would cost to replace and it's quite possible that there is no longer anyone who replaces it as the part is not made anymore. What most repair people do is called reflowing. This is where they take out the logic board ad wrap it in tin foil, then bake it so the gpu melts into place. This is not permanent but will give you a couple of months. BUT, it is not the only way, and there is a DIY way that can be done for FREE. Here is what you should do:

1. Plug in your macbook pro (make sure that its off)

2. Turn on the computer, and hwen it chimes, close the lid and turn it updside down.

3. Wrap the macbook in a heavy quilt.

4. Let the computer sit for about an hour.

5. Take it out of the quilt, unplug it and let it cool for 20 minutes.

6. Turn on the computer.

Thats all you need to make your macbook pro run for another 4-6 months! I can attest to this as i had the same thing and i am typing this on that very computer. IT IS NOT PERMANENT, but it CAN be repeated as many times as you want, s you could keep it goin for another 2 years or so.

NVIDIA gone on 2008 MacBook Pro - cost to repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.