Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail (Snow Leopard) Password Problem

Mail isn't saving my password consistently, even though I've asked it repeatedly to save in Keychain. I'm not having trouble with any other passwords for websites, etc. At one point I found a keychain repair process (I forget the exact name/procedure) online and followed it. It seemed to help for a while but the problem has returned. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 12:39 PM

Open the mail app - click on the word window on the apple menu bar - click on connection doctor - double click on the red dot click on the advance tab - type the password - click ok - hit the red dot to close and save your changes. check again in the mail connection doctor. should be green - your good to go

8 replies

Jul 18, 2013 2:15 PM in response to suchalove8

Thanks for this suggestion, which I had not tried. It didn't work. The dot is already green. I also tried it before putting in my passwork (just w/ Mail opened but w/ the password prompt still showing) and then the Connection Doctor is grayed out (along w/ everything else under Window.

Browsing around, I also discovered some coaching about going into the Keychain Access, deleting the PW for Mail and then re-entering it. That didn't work either.

Jul 19, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Mac_Master

Thanks, Mac_Master. I am told by my server (a local Vermont one) that all my archives for that account would be deleted if I try your method. (I download e-mails onto my desktop computer.) I do have backup, but I'm scouting around for other solutions.

The server guy suggested that the problem is b/c of having multiple devices checking the same account for new mail. (When I called AppleCare, they said that should not be a problem, so it appears they may be wrong.) I do have an iPad, and it was set to check for mail manually, but I just discovered another layer of settings (under Settings - Fetch New Data - Manually - Advanced - ANOTHER place to check Manually. The guy said a device was checking every 5 minutes throughout the night (when my desktop computer is shut down but iPad is usually in Sleep). I seem to have had the problem even before getting my iPad -- but we'll see if this clears it up.

Aug 1, 2013 9:40 AM in response to Suzanne216

Update in case anyone is following this thread. Even with changing my iPad settings to only check e-mail manually (in both layers of the Settings), I have to re-enter my Mail PW on the desktop computer anytime I have checked my e-mail on the iPad in teh interim. It's a pain, and if anyone else has any other thoughts I'd be grateful. Maybe I just have to live with it.

Mail (Snow Leopard) Password Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.