Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 MMS: older phones not receiving messages

Iphone5, iOS6.1.4, Verizon. Brand-new phone I bought a couple weeks ago. So its brand-new, mint condition, untouched.

I've been sending group messages, not realizing more than half of my friends/family were not receiving them.

1.My aunt lives on the other side of the country and has some kind of smartphone(not iphone) and she's been receiving them just fine.

2.My mother has a normal cellphone that is several years old AT&T, but she has only being receiving the subject line of the message. When she tries to "retrieve" the message, it always says "failed to retrieve". She has no problem getting text messages from everyone except me.

3.My brother has a different model of a normal phone and he is on the same AT&T plan with my mother and he is able to receive my group messages.

4.Some other friends with older phones and AT&T are not receiving the messages at all.

So it's been very hit 'n miss on who can receive these group messages.

I turned off iMessages first, then I finally turned off MMS Messages, and my mother was finally able to receive a group message from me.

She has always been able to receive an individual message from me with MMS and iMessages turned on. This is strictly a group message problem of some kind.

I was only sending her messages with text content, but the group messages always say MMS at the top regardless of what you send. I'm assuming turning off MMS forces group messages to use SMS.

Why is iphone not able to degrade gracefully with a group message? Why can't it detect older phones in a group message and say "hmm...maybe I should use SMS, especially since the iphone is sending a message with text-only content anyway."

It's really irritating that I have to either, remember to send INDIVIDUAL messages to every single person, OR keep MMS turned off just so older phones can receive a group message.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems, and if so, what did you do?

Why does group messaging suck so bad on iphone? I group-messaged all the time on my normal cellphone and had no problems.

Even if iphone turned off MMS for a specific message-group automatically because ONE phone involved in the group was too old, that would be better than having to manually turn off MMS for the entire phone. Degrade gracefully, Iphone. It's a fact that older phones will be around for a long time still. My mother's generation still has 30-40 years left in them and they hate change.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Verizon

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 11:42 AM

6 replies

Jul 18, 2013 11:46 AM in response to crystalized17

The issue would be with your mom's phone and her plan with her phone carrier since she has an old cell phone.

When you send a group message to non iphone users depending on the recipient carrier it will send it as a MMS.

This is not an iphone or Apple issue, but an issue with the phone carriers, you or your mom will need to take it up with them. As texting is a carrier feature.

Jul 18, 2013 12:12 PM in response to razmee209

Whether its the carrier or the phone model, why can't something detect that an MMS is the incorrect format?

Why send it as an MMS if one of the phones isn't going to be able to receive it? Why not use SMS automatically on the iphone when the messages are text-only content anyway? Don't force a group message to be MMS unless it contains content like pictures that make MMS necessary.

It reminds me of the time when I didn't have txtmsging at all and some friends did and they would send messages that I never received and they had no idea I didn't receive them. At least with email, you get a mailer-daemon shot at you.

I don't expect SMS to fire back a NDR to tell you that the receipient doesn't have txtmsging, but it would be nice if MMS would downgrade to SMS when needed. Or remain at SMS until MMS is absolutely necessary.

Why are group messages always magically MMS? The individual messages must either be automatically SMS or they are detecting what the phone on the other end can handle.

Jul 18, 2013 12:12 PM in response to crystalized17

I would think it has to do with how the carrier handles the multiple address message. The carriers are really the only ones that can answer your question for you, since they are the ones handling it. As rezmee209 said, SMS/MMS are a carrier function and they determine how to handle it. It is almost like when you add an emoji in some phones, when it arrives to another phone, it is a jumble of non-understandable text. Again, this has to do with how the carrier handles the data coming across.

Why don't you try a carrier forum and see what they have to say about it? Because there are so many different carriers, it is probably next to impossible for the phone to determine how to format a particular message based on the receiving carrier's formatting.

Iphone5 MMS: older phones not receiving messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.