Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't authorize my MacBook Pro on iTunes?

Hello, I have seen this question asked many times and I've seen tons of answers, but they never work for me. According to other answers, I'm supposed to go to the iTunes store drop down box and select authorize computer. I dont have that on my iTunes. I'm running Snow Leopard. Any help? Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Authorization and Deauthorization

Macs: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Windows: How to Authorize or Deauthorize iTunes | PCWorld.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it. Or turn on Windows 7 and 8 iTunes menus: iTunes- Turning on iTunes menus in Windows 8 and 7.

User uploaded file

More On De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2013 12:44 PM in response to thepest1

Authorization and Deauthorization

Macs: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Windows: How to Authorize or Deauthorize iTunes | PCWorld.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it. Or turn on Windows 7 and 8 iTunes menus: iTunes- Turning on iTunes menus in Windows 8 and 7.

User uploaded file

More On De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

Aug 26, 2013 2:28 PM in response to Kappy

All of these answers seem like they were copied and pasted from the help section. I'm using a MacBook Pro and none of these suggestions are working for me. I DO NOT have the option of authorize all on my account page and I DO NOT have the option of authorize this computer in a drop down menu. Does anyone know how to figure ths out on a MacBook Pro?

Can't authorize my MacBook Pro on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.