Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I restart my iMac (OSX 6.8) I have to enter my master password. I am the Administrator and the only user. There is some way to eliminate the need to enter the password and go right to the desktop. What is it?

Every time I restart my iMac (OSX 6.8) I have to enter my master password. I am the Administrator and the only user. There is some way to eliminate the need to enter the password and go right to the desktop. What is it?

iMac G5 (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 4:48 PM

If you mean Admin password, and not Master Password that is used for FileVault, then open Accounts preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your admin password, then click on the Login Options button near the bottom of the left sidebar list. At the top you will see Automatic Login. Select your full username from the dropdown menu. You will then be prompted to enter your admin password.

Now your computer will login automatically.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2013 4:48 PM in response to lawyerbk

If you mean Admin password, and not Master Password that is used for FileVault, then open Accounts preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your admin password, then click on the Login Options button near the bottom of the left sidebar list. At the top you will see Automatic Login. Select your full username from the dropdown menu. You will then be prompted to enter your admin password.

Now your computer will login automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.