Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of Time Code for Events

I understand the value of the time code in projects but am baffled by what it exactly means when I click on a project when it starts off with 10 hours or so, wherever that may come from, and what exactly is its use, except for measuring the time and frames.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:44 PM

8 replies

Jul 18, 2013 4:00 PM in response to lburech

lburech wrote:

baffled by what it exactly means when I click on a project when it starts off with 10 hours or so

Project Starting TC is set by default to zero. But you can change it to whatever you wish.

Are you asking about clip TC? If the TC was retained, it will be whatever the camera recorded…if no TC recorded, it will start at zero.

hth

Russ

Jul 18, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Russ H

The video you suggestd explained the time code as a sequential numbering system inserted by the camera onto each from of the video which was helpful in understanding what it is. My question is whether it has any use whatsoever in the editing process or is it similar to the type of numbers I get from my still camera when I download my pictures such as sc00d0437e which I never use for anything and overwrite with a title, always wondering why the camera puts the effort into the number.

Jul 19, 2013 5:15 AM in response to lburech

lburech wrote:

My question is whether it has any use whatsoever in the editing process or is it similar to the type of numbers I get from my still camera when I download my pictures such as sc00d0437e which I never use for anything and overwrite with a title, always wondering why the camera puts the effort into the number.

Yes, it is very useful.

Just an example: in multicam clips, if they have timecode it can be used for synchronization.

Use of Time Code for Events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.