Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking For 2009 Xserve SSD Option Parts

I just purchased a "new" fully loaded 2009 Xserve that has everything except the SSD option and I need it. Anybody here have a source for the 3 parts besides eBay and Amazon? The part numbers are...

661-5067 (SSD)

992-8958 (SSD Cable)

992-8959 (SSD Bracket)

Thanks,

Chuck

Xserve, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:15 PM

11 replies

Jul 25, 2013 8:41 PM in response to Chris Grande

Chris,

Have you used Impact before? I have attempted to order these parts from 2 vendors now who have advertised them as "in stock" only to have them subsequently cancel my order after putting holds on my bank account funds because they didn't really have the parts to begin with. Apparently it's accepted behavior to advertise the entirety of Apple's part catalog and hope somebody will order something, whether you have the things you have advertised or not. The picture Impact has posted of the drive isn't even close to the specs of the real drive, so I'm suspicious.

After the 2 disappointments, I went ahead and bought the cable from an eBay vendor and I bought the exact same Samsung drive but without the Apple logo, also from an eBay vendor. I got the drive today and the cable should arrive tomorrow. If it all works, I'll go after the bracket next week.

I'll post the results.

Thanks,

Chuck

Jul 25, 2013 8:49 PM in response to Chris Grande

Forgot to answer your last question. I don't know the details, but the story I got was that the lady I bought it from has cancer and is selling stuff for gas money to drive from north Georgia to Florida for treatments. She advertised it on Craigslist. I met her daughter in north Georgia for the transaction and she said her Dad had bought it but never even powered it on. He subsequently "left town." It had been under the bed since 2009 - no box or software, but the brace was still attached to the front and the rails are still sealed up. All appearances are that it truly has never even been powered up....unbelievable.

Chuck

Jul 25, 2013 8:59 PM in response to charliekey

I wrote that that running out of my office, I was desperately trying to find all three parts at the same vendor. I drew up a PO for them so we shall see if they actually have them in stock or not. I noticed that about the drive also (the picture being SATA and not ZIF) however the other items have the correct image when most eBay listings I found had nothing. If you have direct links to the sellers you used for a backup I would be greatly appreciative.

Do you have the exact Samsung part number for the drive, I don't find much with Apple's?

I have to say that is the most interesting Xserve story I have ever heard! I have been thinking about trying to find some 3,1 Xserves to replace my two 2,1s but they are very hard to find.

Jul 26, 2013 4:15 PM in response to Chris Grande

Oh, this is too good. The "cable" came sealed in an Apple Service Parts envelope, complete with a letter from Apple noting that it was not necessary for me to return the "defective" part.

I installed the Samsung SSD (same Samsung part number as the Apple version except without the Apple logo) and Disk Utility recognizes it as "Apple SSD SM128 Media."

It is working perfectly and quick as lightning. I'm using standard OS (not Server) and after the hardware seek loop, it boots in 7 seconds!!

I'm a Happy Boy!!!

Looking For 2009 Xserve SSD Option Parts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.