Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu bar items weird on fresh install - kAirportTurnOffKey etc

I have just installed Mountain Lion and an SSD in my MacPro 2008. It is really snappy but I have encounted a very strange problem.

When I click the top menu bar icon for the wifi I see some strange options such as:

kAirportStatusOnKey

kAirportOtherKey

User uploaded file

There are similar problems with the BlueTooth menu:

User uploaded file

With BTTurnOff etc. These look like the actual names of the software calls. If I click on kOpenBTSAKey then the Bluetooth set up assistant starts.

The spotlight searh also showed Menu_Search. If I tried a search it reverted to the correct form.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Dave

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:54 PM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2013 3:58 AM in response to David White

So I still have the problem. It is intermittent and I noticed some other things that might give a clue.

The problem can re-appear after the machine has been left for some time (I have HD shut down set to never) and I get an additional problem that the internal DVD drives "dissappear" When I hit the eject button in the top menu bar, they are missing. If I then go to spotlight I see the "Menu_Search" text and not a white box. If I type anthing in it then the top menu bar seems to blink (restart) and spotlight then works correctly and the DVD drives re-appear in eject menu.

I have tried repairing permissions and it made no difference.

Has anybody seen this problme and fixed it?

Thanks.

Menu bar items weird on fresh install - kAirportTurnOffKey etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.