Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create a fill in the blank document that can be used by others

I need to create an trip application which allows others to type in their information in provided areas and either print the form or email it back to me.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 5:13 PM

11 replies

Jul 19, 2013 1:25 AM in response to Linda Compton

Hi Linda,

I created this in Pages. Type Name: in the body of a Pages Word Processing ducument, then add a Text Box.

Then File > Export > Word

Then open the Word document in Pages:

User uploaded file

I don't have Word to try it, but Export > Word and then open again in Pages works.

Pages and Word are not fully compatible. Give it a try. Send the Word version to a friend who has Word and see if they can type into the Text Box.

Regards,

Ian

Jul 19, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Yellowbox

Just to add to Yellowboxes suggestion:

select "Type to enter Text" > Menu > Format > Advanced > Define as placeholder text

so that when you click in it you select and replace it with whatever you type.

This works in Pages, not sure about Word.

You do not seem to be taking into account whatever the recipients may have installed on their computers. PC users will be totally unable to use a .pages document and exporting and reimporting to/from Word will rapidly break down.

For forms that are platform agnostic, it is best to make your form in Pages and print it to pdf then edit the pdf to be a form. That actually makes it better than a dumb virtual piece of paper, because the pdf form can submit the data to a database of your choosing.

Peter

Jul 21, 2013 5:51 AM in response to Linda Compton

Hi Linda,

I will try this.

I tried too.

I started with a blank Page Layout document in Pages (File > New From Template Chooser... > Page Layout > Blank > Blank Canvas.

I added four Text Boxes to that blank canvas:

User uploaded file

In my example, the Text Boxes all have black outlines for clarity in that screen shot (select the Text Boxes, then in Inspector > Graphic > Stroke > Line and set the line style, colour and width).

Then File > Print...

and on the bottom left of the Print dialogue:

User uploaded file

Save with a suitable document name in a convenient location.

Then open that PDF in Preview and type the word DoubleClick in each user field:

User uploaded file

Double clicking will select that "word" and it will act as the Place Holder Text that Peter referred to. The user can begin typing to replace that "word".

Please be aware that this PDF is not a locked form with fields that users can enter data. Here, I show how to select (and possibly vandalise) the Name box:

User uploaded file

It all depends upon how well you can trust your users!

Regards,

Ian.

how to create a fill in the blank document that can be used by others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.