Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got an iPhone 4 and I'm trying to use it on tmobile. I have restored the phone but every time I put in my SIM card for t mobile it says no service. How can I fix this?

I just got an iPhone 4 and I'm trying to use it on the t mobile network. The thing is, I've tried restoring the phone so I could use it. I haven't tried my sim on other phones yet. But I will try to see if it works. The iPhone is supposedly factory unlocked btw. Anyways, when I put in my tmobile sim, it searches for the service, but it always ends up saying NO SERVICE. I checked that my network says that the "phone not allowed". So I don't have 3G on this phone I presume. I heard that you need 3G to have service is that correct? But how do I resolve it? The iPhone does know that my phone carrier is tmobile. It just says no service. And I've tried restoring it three times and turning it off and on and it won't work. I don't have a data plan for tmobile tw! Hopefully someone can help! Thank you so much in advance!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 8:43 PM

19 replies

Jul 18, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Curiousc

Just as I figured. Your phone is almost certainly NOT unlocked. You can call Apple with the phone's serial number and find out to which carrier the phone is locked. Probably AT&T. If you're not an account holder with AT&T, it's very unlikely they'll unlock the phone for you.

You need to purchase an unlocked phone from a legitimate source, and in the US that is Apple.

Jul 18, 2013 10:35 PM in response to Curiousc

If a phone is sold from one friend to another and wants to use it on a different carrier the friend can contact the carrier it was sold by to request it unlocked. I know AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will give you the steps to unlock it as long as the original contract it was bought under has been completed. eBay/Craigslist is really not the best place to try to get "unlocked phones" from, if it turns out the phone isn't unlocked then I'm really sorry you got stuck with that one and as stevejobsfan said above I would report them immediately and see if you can recover your money. I sell phones for a living and this happens a lot 😟

I just got an iPhone 4 and I'm trying to use it on tmobile. I have restored the phone but every time I put in my SIM card for t mobile it says no service. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.