Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio thunderbolt driver

Hello Hello. New here and no more then 6 month user of Macs. I've been basically a windows user seems like forever.

Anyway my issue is about a month now. I invested into a late 2012 Mac Pro 12 core for studio recording and have an Apollo UAD2 quad with a thunderbolt card added but my Mac Pro isn't picking it up via thunderbolt chord so I've been using firewire up until I got another firewire interface plugged in that only offered 400 not 800 firewire. So I got an adapter chord for free from paypal, but now in pro tools the newly hooked up interface took priority to my Apollo that can be connected Thunderbolt.

The Apollo when conected via FW it did a firmware update maybe because of the thunbolt card it found.. I don't know for sure. But on my Mac thunderbolt doesn't have a driver according to mysystem report option.

I'm a mobile poster so my writing is jacked excuse my grammer.. lol

basically I'm a new mac user still learning as I go.

Any reply is helpful

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Pro Tool 11, Apollo 2UAD rack mount

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 8:58 PM

10 replies

Jan 8, 2014 10:34 AM in response to JakeR.0

Yes, JakeR.0-you are correct. Your 2012 12 core Mac does Not have Thunderbolt capability, so having a Thunderbolt card is good for the future, but doesn't do diddly-squat for you right now. Universal Audio has said that Thunderbolt capability will be added some time in 2014 with a firmware update which is not yet available.

but when it is, can be done with the new Mac pro, which neither I nor you have, so it's a moot point. Your basic choice would be Firewire 400 or 800. My guess is that you tried to connect it via Thunderbolt to your Mac pro which confused the heck out of it (and out of me). My suggestion is to power everything down, mac pro, Apollo quad, the whole burrito. Reconnect via Firewire or a Thunderbolt to Firewire interface cable. Do not try to connect via Thunderbolt directly. Reboot. It ought to work better, and as Martin P. said, you might be connecting to the DisplayPort connector. Best as I recall, the Firewire connector has a sort of "Y" icon, looks like a Capital U or A on its side. Either 400 or 800 Firewire ought to work okay.

Jan 8, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Johnb-one

sorry I confused, you. Sorry I wasn't really clear because I'm now confused on some peoples replies. My Apollo has thunderbolt ports out that work from just a single card upgrade from the Apollo company..

Yes I know Apple has a new Mac Pro design that includes thunderbolt 2.0 on it. I have a mac mini with a single thunderbolt port on it that is all I need for my Apollo.

My Mac Pro has ATI Radeon HD video card with what looks like thunderbolt ports but are really mini video out ports in which I am using now with an Asus monitor.

So I know what I have I know how to use I was looking for help, not critisism from some unknown folks. Oh also to add I am a new Apple user one year now. 🙂

Jan 8, 2014 11:00 AM in response to JakeR.0

Since I started what you are calling criticism let me explain that my comment was not meant as criticism but instead was an effort to get a correct interpretations of your problem. You stated you had ThunderBolt which on the Mac Pro available in July, when I posted, was not possible. So I stated that fact. Sorry if you saw that as criticism.

You do have to remember that we are attempting to help you and we depend on the information you give us to do that. If there is a part of that information that is not true then that makes it extre,]mely difficult for us to understand your problem.

Allan

Jan 12, 2014 11:12 PM in response to DieselFuelForLife

no seriously, I have a late 2012 model with one thunderbolt port 😕

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system): 2.1f175

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID: 197199B1-BF24-5A43-96C3-B42520B44419

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Thunderbolt Option Card:

Vendor Name: Universal Audio, Inc.

Device Name: Thunderbolt Option Card

Vendor ID: 0x1176

Device ID: 0x1

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: 0x11760001000028D0

Route String: 1

Firmware Version: 26.9

Port (Upstream):

Link Status: 0x2

audio thunderbolt driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.