Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New "error" message: Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

Software Update indicates that there is an update to Keynote, bit when I tried downloading it, I got the following message: "Update Unavailable with This Apple ID This update is for an app downloaded with a different Apple ID. SIgn in with that Apple ID and try again."

I have NEVER had any other Apple ID than the one I currently use. Any ideas what might be causing ths and how to solve the problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 9:49 PM

8 replies

Jul 18, 2013 9:52 PM in response to Don Price

What that message means is that the app was purchased with a different Apple ID.

Have you got a second-hand Mac? If so, it would have come with Keynote, so in this case, you have to remove Keynote and install it again with your Apple ID.

If you purchased it with your Apple ID, first open the App Store, go to Purchases and see if Keynote is there. If so, remove Keynote from your Mac (open Launchpad, hold the Option key and press the X button above Keynote), and then, open the App Store, go to Purchases and download it again

Jul 18, 2013 9:58 PM in response to mende1

Have you got a second-hand Mac? If so, it would have come with Keynote, so in this case, you have to remove Keynote and install it again with your Apple ID.

Keynote is an iWork app. iLife apps come bundled with new Macs. iWork does not come bundled with new Macs. This Mac could have only come with iWork preinstalled if the person who bought it ordered the Mac as a special order and paid for the iWork suite to be preinstalled.

Jul 18, 2013 9:59 PM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed wrote:

This Mac could have only come with iWork preinstalled if the person who bought it ordered the Mac as a special order and paid for the iWork suite to be preinstalled.

That's what I wanted to say, and I think it's clear in my reply. With a second-hand Mac, I'm asking for the possibility that the old owner could have left Keynote in that Mac

Sep 8, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Don Price

Like the OP, when trying to update Numbers on the iPad, I got the message about the app being downloaded with a different Apple ID. I have never had any other Apple ID and I bought the iPad new, so there is no possibility of an app left by a previous owner.

I had considerable difficulty in purchasing Numbers. The download failed and I got the message that the app was not available at the present time. This happened multiple times over a number of weeks, but finally the purchase was successful.

I think that considering the glitches in the download process, my purchase of Numbers might not have been been properly registered with my actual Apple ID.

Sep 8, 2013 5:57 PM in response to Don Price

Please try each of the following steps you haven't already taken, until the issue is resolved. After each step, relaunch the App Store and try again.

1. Follow the instructions in this Apple Support article.

2. If any App Store purchases were made under a different Apple ID, or if the bundled iLife applications were accepted under a different ID, sign in to the App Store with that ID to update.

3. Alternatively, delete the probem applications and re-download them with the ID you're using now. If you haven't already purchased them with that ID, you'll have to do that first, because purchases can't be transferred from one account to another.

4. Select the Purchased tab in the App Store window. If you see an item in the list marked "You have 3 apps to accept," click Accept.

5. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/adoption.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window may open with a file selected. If it does, delete the selected file. You may be prompted for your login password.

Then repeat step 4.

6. Select

Store View My Account

from the App Store menu bar, then select View hidden purchases. If you're trying to update any hidden purchases, unhide them.

7. Launch iTunes and select

Store Authorize This Computer

from the menu bar.

8. If you've moved any App Store apps out of the Applications folder, or into a subfolder, put them back. Never move or copy those applications. If you have backup copies of the apps on another volume, unmount it and try to update again.

9. Contact Account and Billing Support.

Sep 19, 2013 4:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

These are good suggestions, thanks.

However, I don't know how to see which app and/or apple ID is the problem. Most of my apps were purchased with one of two IDs, and I've tried both of them. The error contains no clues.

I'm sure my daughter downloaded a few freebies on her account, so maybe that's the problem. But in the past, those wouldn't block the other 90+ updates from occurring, and now they apparently do. (Maybe that's because of this new iTunes agreement we must click Accept on? In which case everything will come unstuck when she does that.)

Suggestions welcome.

New "error" message: Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.