Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All SD cards read only

Both the internal Sd reader on my iMAC and a usb external reader read all cards as read/only. If you go to get info, you can't change this setting. In Disk Utility you can't do anything, everything is greyed out. When you insert a card into either reader and then remove it with ejecting, I don't get the error message telling me to eject before removing.

Any ideas any body?

Wayne

<Email Edited By Host>

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 11:30 PM

6 replies

Jul 27, 2013 10:28 PM in response to Hoggdoc

There was a thread from 2009 about this problem: it seems that some sd cards (and/or perhaps some sd card slots) get confused, and indicate read only with the switch at either end, but will indicate read/write status with the switch midway between the ends (perhaps a little bit more toward the unlocked end). This sounds strange, I know, but it worked for me today, with a brand new 64GB card (the first one I've ever used in my 21 month old MBP, which indicated read-only with the switch at either end, but became read-write with the switch in the middle.

Nov 30, 2013 9:18 PM in response to Hoggdoc

Been struggling with this same issue today. Reading several posts about the lock switch postion got me wondering. Carefully compared the two SD cards which show up read only with one that works. The switch on the ones which show up as read only are a tiny bit longer. Looks like a little bit of extra plastic on the ends. Trimmed that extra off with an xacto knife and they now work!

All SD cards read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.