Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Delay Compensation

I am wondering if Logic X has improved delay compensation control. A number of years back when I used Logic 6 I had to manual set the delay compensation for my particular converters. I was never sure how much delay was introduced when mixing and I bounced certain tracks out to outboard gear. With older Logic I had problems with track misalignment as the audio signals went through plugins and or outboard gear. This created phase issues.

For mostly this reason I went to Protools HD3 TDM and delay compensation was very nicely taken care of automatically. I would love to jump back into Logic Pro if this issue has been solved. Any thoughts.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 1:34 AM

There are some additions that help the problem.

Go here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/logic_pro_x_effects.pdf

Look at the chapter.. Utilities and Tools, specifically, the "I/O Utility" This allows external instruments to be used in a channel strip and also has the ability to "ping" the instrument and set up correct delay comp.

There is also a Low Latency Mode... mainly for use when recording MIDI tracks for software instruments.

Low Latency Mode has a user adjustable threshold that when engaged bypasses effects that cause latency because of look-ahead processing. (dynamics processors, some convolution reverbs...etc)

Since I haven't upgraded I can't tell you if Logic-X still has the three ADC settings present in Logic 9

1. OFF, 2. Audio and Software Instrument Tracks, 3. ALL

All should only be used after all recording is finished and the project is being mixed otherwise it's should always be set to Audio and Software Instrument Tracks.

So, I don't think Logic has a 100% compensated audio engine.... yet. The audio engine would need to be re-written from the ground up like Steinberg did with Nuendo and Cubase.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2013 1:34 AM in response to midnightsun

There are some additions that help the problem.

Go here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/logic_pro_x_effects.pdf

Look at the chapter.. Utilities and Tools, specifically, the "I/O Utility" This allows external instruments to be used in a channel strip and also has the ability to "ping" the instrument and set up correct delay comp.

There is also a Low Latency Mode... mainly for use when recording MIDI tracks for software instruments.

Low Latency Mode has a user adjustable threshold that when engaged bypasses effects that cause latency because of look-ahead processing. (dynamics processors, some convolution reverbs...etc)

Since I haven't upgraded I can't tell you if Logic-X still has the three ADC settings present in Logic 9

1. OFF, 2. Audio and Software Instrument Tracks, 3. ALL

All should only be used after all recording is finished and the project is being mixed otherwise it's should always be set to Audio and Software Instrument Tracks.

So, I don't think Logic has a 100% compensated audio engine.... yet. The audio engine would need to be re-written from the ground up like Steinberg did with Nuendo and Cubase.

Jul 19, 2013 11:13 PM in response to midnightsun

midnightsun wrote:

This really helps. It looks like Logic is heading in the right direction with the pinging. Thanks for taking the time to address my question.

Definitely better than when dealing with L6. The main thing to remember now is keeing the Plugin Delay Compensation set to Audio and Software Instruments while recording,and the ALL setting only when doing the final Mix.

Automatic Delay Compensation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.