Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New wi-fi software update has disabled wi-fi in bootcamp

Hi everyone, I've recently downloaded the software update for wi-fi on OSX with my Macbook Air mid 2013, and everything was working fine on OSX in terms of wi-fi connectivity. When I load up Windows 8 on bootcamp, my wi-fi modem no longer detects any wi-fi connections at all, even if I try to reset it. It was working perfectly previously, so it seems this software update has specifically disabled wi-fi on bootcamp?

MacBook Air, Windows 8

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 3:50 AM

9 replies

Jul 19, 2013 11:35 AM in response to AussieMacbook

Hi there,

I've noticed the exact same thing in my Windows 8 Pro bootcamp installation on my MacBook Air mid-2013. My WiFi cannot detect any connections at all either. Like you, it was working perfectly before. It doesn't seem like there are any updated Boot Camp Support Software Drivers either, and I have not yet tried reinstalling the wireless drivers. I wonder if we can uninstall the Apple Software update?

Jul 19, 2013 5:32 PM in response to AussieMacbook

I am able to connect to wi-fi again, though I am not sure what I did to fix it. I downloaded the drivers for the wi-fi device, deleted the current drivers via device manager, and reinstalled them. It didn't seem to solve the problem though, until I restarted the computer two or three times. It's possible that the actual solution was what wifiguru suggested, given that my last restart involved an actual system reboot (because it had froze), and the wi-fi started working after that. Can someone confirm the solution? 🙂

Jul 19, 2013 8:12 PM in response to AussieMacbook

I'm able to connect again as well, though I did try what AussieMacbook tried too before reading what wifiguru posted. I uninstalled the current drivers with device manager, and then reinstalled bootcamp 5.0.5033 drivers. It only seemed to work after 3 restarts in my case. I didnt actually get a chance to try unplugging and having it in a shut down state for 5 minutes, as the problem seemed to have been solved before then. I should also note that the exact same strange symptom of the computer hanging/freezing occurred to me as well, and after a couple more restarts past that point with the device driver reinstall, my issue was solved. Weird that we both had that frozen symptom...

So for anyone else having this issue, try what wifiguru said first:
Shut down, wait 5 minutes, then reboot.

If that doesn't help, then try:
Uninstalling the Broadcom wireless AC drivers in Device Manager, restart the mac, install bootcamp drivers again (and it will repair the wireless ones), and then try restarting a couple times.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2013 1:42 AM in response to AussieMacbook

drifter29 reported his/her workaround in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5187393?answerId=22614599022#22614599022

... which was for the same problem I am having, viz: wifi was working fine in osx & win7 bootcamp BEFORE the recent wifi update.

Essentially, he says to hold down optionkey to boot into the gray select boot device screen, then choose your windows partition and boot into there. Wifi will be disabled. THEN, optionkey-reboot from windows into the gray select boot device screen and again select the windows partition. Wifi works then, and on subsequent reboots, only stopping again when you reboot into OSX. Rinse & repeat to fix.

It's working for me so far.

Jul 31, 2013 2:27 AM in response to Raytheon117X

Could you explain exactly how to install the bootcamp drivers? I've downloaded the 5.0.5033 drivers from Apple, and when I try to run the setup in Windows I get an error "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model." I've also tried navigating to the appropriate folder and putting in the command msiexec /i BootCamp.msi, but the message returned was "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation cannot continue..." Running Windows7 64 bit.

I tried installing the BroadcomNetworkAdapter64 driver directly, which didn't return an error but didn't seem to do anything, either, other than put an entry in the device manager for Network Controller. Besides, it apparently installed the driver version 5.106.199.1, instead of the 6.30.223.75 drivers that were previously available.

Trying to shut down my MBA to test the wifi from a cold boot is out of the question since I've already deleted the driver. System Restore isn't an option since I disabled it to save on disk space.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2013 3:09 AM in response to HomiAlafar

Hi, HomiAlafar

I had the same issue once re "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model." error & bootcamp drivers. This is what worked for me.

- copy bootcamp drivers to a temporary folder on the C: drive in bootcamp (eg: c:\temp)

- unpack the archive into this directory (eg: giving you c:\temp\$WinPEDrivers$ & c:\temp\Bootcamp subdirectories)

- go into c:\temp\Bootcamp\Drivers\Apple dir and rightclick on Bootcamp.msi , select install.

If that doesn't work, I think I recall others having some joy with cd'ing to c:\temp\Bootcamp\Drivers\Broadcom and running the "Broadcom...64.exe" executable files manually, from within an administrator priviledged cmd shell.

good luck!

PS: It sounds like from your post that you tried much of this already. Otherwise perhaps boot the windows PC into safe mode and try intalling the drivers from there.

New wi-fi software update has disabled wi-fi in bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.