Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display USB Keyboard Problem Workaround

Hi everyone,

I've seen hundreds of messages related to the fact that the thunderbolt displays will occassionally not recognize a wired apple keyboard connected to the display when connecting to a laptop. I might have a workaround for those affected.

My 2103 15" MacBook Pro would never see the keyboard once I unplugged the unifed thunderbolt cable and plugged it back in. I've done everything from doing the switching USB ports dance, turning display off (pulling out power cable), connecting and reconnecting in various different steps, and even tried a new thunderbolt cable to bypass the built in one. Nothing ever worked, or a least, worked consistently. USB drives, iphone cables etc all work just fine, so I know the USB jacks are functioning.

I discovered that if you use the USB keyboard extender cable that Apple provides with some macs, and plug your keyboard into the the display through that cable, it will see the keyboard instantly. Everytime. We've tried it on a few computers at work and it solved the problem on those as well. I should note that the keyboards we are using are the latest apple ones with the launchpad key on F4.

If you are having problems, give it a shot. It just might solve the issue, until Apple gets it act together and acknowledges there is a problem.

Happy typing.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 7:44 AM

52 replies

Apr 4, 2017 10:27 AM in response to GL_Philly

I can also confirm the fix. I went as far as to buy an extender cable on eBay this past week as my wired keyboard was not responding when connected to the monitor. After adding the extender cable, the change was instant and complete. My Mid-2015 MBP now recognizes the wired keyboard every single time it's plugged in. I'm not clear why this works, or even why it SHOULD work in theory, but it does work, and well.

Jul 19, 2013 3:18 PM in response to bobaeng

Of course they did. Why spend $4 when you can buy a new keyboard for $50?

They used to come with every PowerMac and MacPro's because they were towers, but I guess the never sold them separately. Maybe if you visit an apple store and talk to a genius you could get one. Alternatively, I would think that any USB 2.0 extender cable from Best Buy, Staples, etc might work, but I haven't tested them. I have an extension cable from Monoprice that was very cheap that I can test out next week and post the results.

Dec 18, 2013 12:51 AM in response to GL_Philly

Hi,

ive got the same issue and now...

the Keyboard was conntected via USB on onboard USB (rMBP 2013/10 / OSX Mavericks latest) and runs at first time. After connecting the Keyboard to Thunderbold HUB the Keyboard does not run anymore direct on onboard USB. Only via Thunderbolt it runs so far. After this i switched another (new) Keyboard from a identic system and the same thing happen. Plug into internal USB of rMBP it runs on all Ports, than Plug into Thunderbolt HUB and after this the Keyboard runs no more on internal Ports. This happens on the other identic systems....

Apple Support has no answer to this. Local Premium Reseller have no idea too...

The Hardware USB-Ports and Keyborads are fine and any other device works on the Thunderbolt USB and internal USB Ports of my rMBP Systems

- SMC and VRAM / PRAM are alredy reset

- delte the com.apple.keyboard...plist

- start the keyboard asisstent etc.

- connecting other USB-Devices to test the internal USB

I think this is a Software BUG when switching the external Keyboard to a Thunderbolt diplay. Is permanent connected to Thunderbold USB-HUB

Is there any one having same problems or a sulution?

Jan 23, 2014 11:06 PM in response to GL_Philly

Hi,

Thanks for this info, amazing that something stupid like an extender cable can fix this issue. Interesting how other users also "by accident" found the same cure for this or similar problems MichaloM. All I can add is that before I used the USB extender cable (original Apple) my ritual was to firstly connect the magsafe to the rMBP, then the TB cable and only then flip open the display. This worked 99% of the time... this morning though nothing would solve the problem except the USB extender. Also I might add that I had (two instead of only one as per usual) other devices plugged into both of the Apple keyboard USB slots, both wireless receivers.

One of the reasons for moving over to Apple, apart from feeling the urge to spend quite a lot more money on hardware, was to keep with one brand and be assured that all their products were compatible and would work first time every time. Shame on me for assuming this...

I'm sure that there are many more such issues, its a blatant shame that Apple won't acknowledge the problem and try to get a fix for this... especially when there are so many users experiencing this problem.

Mar 8, 2014 6:09 AM in response to GL_Philly

I have encountered the problem described a few days ago, maybe it came with the 10.9.2 OSX update, but I am not sure. I have used another Apple wired keyboard on my setup (2013 MBP Retina + Thunderbolt Display) for about 2 months and had no problem at all. Then I gave the keyboard away to my dad, because he trashed his and got a new keyboard. It worked for 2 o three weeks until suddenly it started the bahaviour described hier: It's not recognized by the MBP after a cold-start. I usually run my MBP in clamshell-mode, so I lift the display to reach the power-button and close it right away. I have to experiment with different rituals. I can make the keyboard respond again, by plugging it in another USB port on the display, but I can reproduce the problem with any of the display's ports, so that's not it.

Thunderbolt Display USB Keyboard Problem Workaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.