Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do i need to do with my current iPhoto before upgrading to iPhoto 11? i don't want to lose any of my photos!

i'm getting ready to upgrade to iphoto 11 so i can use photostream. I just don't want to lose my current photos.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 8:29 AM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2013 8:31 AM in response to maryclaire3

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

When you open iPhoto '11 for the first time, your library will be upgraded in order to be used with iPhoto '11. If this process doesn't finish correctly, you will lose all your photos.

Because of that, the only thing you have to do is to make a backup of your iPhoto library before upgrading. Just open a Finder window, go to the folder where your iPhoto library is (normally, Pictures) and make a copy of it in another folder or drive. With this, you can upgrade safely to iPhoto '11

Jul 19, 2013 8:35 AM in response to rmgman

You don't need to make a whole backup of your Mac, but in fact, it's recommended to make backups of your Mac onto an external drive.

For most of users, Time Machine is sufficient > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427 It's free and it comes with OS X, so you don't have to buy or install anything. As rmgman said, Carbon Copy Cloner is a good alternative too, but Disk Utility's Restore feature does the same

Jul 20, 2013 7:48 AM in response to maryclaire3

Thanks, everybody. I do back up my Mac fairly regularly but I am away from home, no external drive with me, so I will try the Time Machine suggestion. Also planning to put my iPhoto library on a disc. This should work! Oh, just followed the link and I see that Time Machine connects to the external drive that I do not have... oh well... the disc will have to do.

what do i need to do with my current iPhoto before upgrading to iPhoto 11? i don't want to lose any of my photos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.