Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple wont repair hardware failure due to minor dent damage.

So I bought an Ipad 3rd Generation 4 months ago. Just lately the sound stopped working through the internal speakers. Ive read forums and ive done the whole mute/unmute suggestions. When I double tap the home button and go to where the volume bar should be, there is no volume bar. The speakers acutally work for the first minute or so, and I still get notifcation sounds but no in-app sounds or anything. No keyclicks. I even restored it to factory default several times. It works fine when headphones are plugged in. I read that this is a hardware failuire and that if i send it in I will be covered by the warrenty.

The day after I shipped it out, I got an email saying that they would not repair this due to dents on the aluminum case.

I know first hand that these dents are very minor. I always kept this ipad in a leather case, never dropped it, it may have fell off of the couch a few times.

They havent sent it back yet, and ive tried calling them but they are not open yet. Im hoping I can cope with whoever it is I speak to or there supervisor and get atleast the hardware fixed on this issue.

Any suggestions? does anyone else think this is a bit rediculous? If it is a hardware failiure on there end, shouldnt they fix it?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 8:54 AM

23 replies

Jul 19, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Robevitts

I assume they are saying that the hardware failure may have been occured because of the drop that caused the damage. I personally have never had this problem with Apple. I brought back my iPhone that with internal speaker problems and they replaced, cracked screen and all but I was able to actually go into the store as opposed to having to mail it.

Before you sent it back, did you try doing a reset?

(Holding Sleep/Wake & Home buttons until the Apple logo appears)

That often times fixing glitchy problems like that.

If nothing else it is something to try if they won't fix it.

If are unable to get it repaired you can also try this:

Erase all content and settings and set it up as a new iPad. If it doesn't fix it you can always go through the procss again and restore from your iCloud backup.

Jul 19, 2013 9:26 AM in response to deggie

Last time I reset and set up as a new ipad, first thing I did was watched a youtube video to confirm sound was working, and it was, and in the middle of the video it just quit. Volume bar disappeared and everything. And if they can't fix it then they should replace it, right?

And thank you guys for your help and suggestions, sorrry if I seem a bit frustrated.

Jul 19, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Robevitts

As odd as this might sound, when you do get the iPad back, try cleaning the dock connector opening with a soft brush and just a little bit of rubbing alcohol. I have seen other users talk about this, recommended it a few times myself, and have seen it work successfully a number of times as well.

Apple wont repair hardware failure due to minor dent damage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.