Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Time capsule stopped working!

I woke up to a message that my computer had restarted on its own during the night. Then I had no internet. Time Capsule had its green light on. I unplugged it to restart it and when I plugged it back in - no light! No internet! What happened? Is it dead? What can I do?

This is also the entire backup of my computer - yikes!!

Thanks!

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 9:33 AM

13 replies

Jul 19, 2013 3:06 PM in response to Marty Roberts

No it was my computer that restarted all on its own! The time capsule was still on - green light, but no internet. When I unplugged and then plugged back in, there was no light - like dead capsule - not a yellow light - no light.

Very weird.

The Time Capsule is sending you warning messages. Unfortunately, it will fail completely soon. I suggest that you make plans now.

Jul 19, 2013 3:48 PM in response to Marty Roberts

If you want that old backup.. most people only want the current settings.. then archive it to a USB drive today.

The latest version airport utility has again put archive back.

Your TC as Bob notes is sending out warning messages.. it will fail soon without any coming back from the dead.

3years is their service life.. beyond that buy a new unit or replace with a different method.

Jul 19, 2013 3:56 PM in response to TehPwN

TehPwN wrote:

Time capsules are not know to fail,

IF you turn on the TC and the light doesn't come on.. then that has nothing to do with firmware.

All Gen 1 and Gen 2 TC suffer from bad power supplies and can die at any time.. just google it.

Gen3 also suffer board issues.

And updating firmware is not going to change a faulty TC into functional one.

Jul 20, 2013 12:18 AM in response to Marty Roberts

I would listen to LaPastenague. The man knows what he is talking about... From What I know the only thing firmware may or may not fix. .. is different brands and capacity of drives that have issues being recognized or have issues with spinning down or not spinning at all. IF, again that is a HUGE IF.. the firmware at all, can in fact correct those issues.

Help! Time capsule stopped working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.