Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extreme syncing issue between audio and video

Hi all. This is my second post in the Apple support pages and also the first week I've used Final Cut Pro (7).

I've had a rendering issue when exporting my project to a quicktime movie. The audio is rendered correctly, but the video is renders 20 seconds too far into the project, and I have no clue why it does that. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 11:40 AM

What are your clip settings and what are your sequence settings? In particular, codec (also called compressor), pixel dimensions, and frame rate.

Select a clip in the browser or timeline and hit command-9 for clip settings and make your timeline active and hit command-zero for your sequence settings.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2013 11:40 AM in response to Klompengard

What are your clip settings and what are your sequence settings? In particular, codec (also called compressor), pixel dimensions, and frame rate.

Select a clip in the browser or timeline and hit command-9 for clip settings and make your timeline active and hit command-zero for your sequence settings.

Jul 19, 2013 11:41 AM in response to Klompengard

Because you are very new to this, I'm going to take a guess at the issue.

You are working with H.264, MP4, or some other Quicktime format from a camera...and didn't convert it to ProRes before editing. The behavior you are describing sounds like one of the issues this causes.

FCP doesn't just work with any old QT format you throw it in. The bad thing is that it SEEMS like it will work, but in reality, it won't. FCP really needs to work with media in the FCP formats it supports...and that list can be found in the FINAL CUT PRO menu, under EASY SETUP.

Just to save time, I'll say that the default format FCP likes is ProRes 422. So what you need to do is convert your footage. to that format.

Am I right? Am I close? Where did your footage come from, and what codec is it (format...what format...and "mov" is not a format).

Jul 19, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Klompengard

You're aggravation is misdirected. Final Cut isn't the issue, not knowing how it works is. If you want to edit files natively, Adobe Premiere Pro is the application you want to use. It's designed to do that. FCP is not....FCP requires that the media be converted to ProRes before editing.

You can do this a couple of ways:

1) Compressor (free, comes with FCP) Drop the clip into the DROPZONE, look for the ProRes 422, or even ProRes LT setting (there's a search window in the settings area, bottom right). Drag that setting onto your clip...hit SUBMIT. Yes, the file size will increase dramatically.

2) Use MPEG STREAMCLIP (free, google it). Open a clip...Here...read this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2059475?threadID=2059475&tstart=0 But instead of a DVD, just import the clip, and instead of choosing DV, choose ProRes.

Know that FCP is also four years old, and no longer being make, so it's pretty out of date. PPro is better, and can be had for $20 a month (Adobe is a subscription model now).

Extreme syncing issue between audio and video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.