Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

original Master files lost

I dont' know how, or when. I've been using Aperture for years. I keep all files in the library, and library is on my main built in drive. I do a SuperDuper clone, a Time Machine, and a Vault. So it's backed up well. But in this case a backup doesn't help.

Today I went to access some files from 2007. I couldn't do anything with them only to find out the original is missing. Not all images in any one project, just some scattered through the library. I have no idea when this happened, they are not in the vault nor backups.

Not sure what to even ask for here. But if anyone has an idea what may have happened. I've not had any hd problems. Have obviously upgraded to news iMac since 07. But I'm carful to do a backup, update vault. But the files are not in those places. Not that I've found yet.

And frankly I don't know the scope of the damage. Can't tell just looking at a glance.

Is there any tool to check the db? Check versions vs Masters?

From now on, import into Aperture, and save in a folder.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 12:39 PM

Filter the Photos container with the Rule "File Status" set to "Missing".

Also useful if you keep any Image's Originals referenced: "File Status" set to "Off-line".

You might check the oldest copy of your Library in Time Machine for the missing Originals. Make a new, separate _copy_ of your current Library first.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2013 12:39 PM in response to John Denning

Filter the Photos container with the Rule "File Status" set to "Missing".

Also useful if you keep any Image's Originals referenced: "File Status" set to "Off-line".

You might check the oldest copy of your Library in Time Machine for the missing Originals. Make a new, separate _copy_ of your current Library first.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jul 19, 2013 2:26 PM in response to léonie

Additionally -😎- this is an excellent reason to adopt the practice of saving Previews with a minimum-usable resolution for all Images. (Which the OP and Léonie may do.) I advise everyone to keep Previews of all Images and buy the storage needed. I keep my personal Library's Previews set to 1440 px. on a side, quality 10, and leave Preview generation on for every Image.

Jul 20, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions. Though I still have some totally missing in action RAW files, I did find plenty of files marked as missing.

Many of those are not a problem. I think duplicates. Most of those are jpeg, prior to having a RAW camera, from my Coolpix 800, 2000-2001. And they are all full size untouched.

It's those missing RAW images from 2007 that really bug me. I did a spotlight search of my HD for NEF and found lots, But don't think any of the missing.

Again, thanks for all the comments, ideas, and suggestions.

-JD-

Jul 22, 2013 12:21 PM in response to léonie

I did a repair first, then the next day a rebuild. I found over 2000 marked as missing originals.

But here's the catch, a good thing. many of those are originals. Either old jpg prior to me working in RAW. But even RAW images. I found some I wanted.

So I've got them all marked so I can identify them, added a keyword of missing. I'll get it fixed. Do believe I actually did loose some. But haven't looked at everything yet.

Before Aperture I used iPhoto. Then for a short time I used Nikon's software. But once I got Aperture I imported everything into it. And again a Managed library.

I just imported some new stuff. After import I also copied all ht e RAW to a folder outside of Aperture.

I just wish I knew if Aperture has a future. I hope so, I like it...

Again thanks everyone for ideas and tips. Very appreciated.

-JD-

Jul 24, 2013 10:03 AM in response to John Denning

One thing I strongly recommend is to back up originals before ever entering Aperture or any other images management application. Those pre-Aperture backups are on drives that are not otherwise part of any images workflow. And I keep the original file name from the camera as part of any later file naming.

IMO the workflows found in most manuals that have the photog opening directly into Aperture are very wrong. Such risky handling of not-backed-up originals by an images management application should not be part of a professional workflow.

In the event Aperture Originals/Masters become "lost" (meaning Aperture's pointers for those images are broken) the file names can (as a last resort) be used to do a Finder search of the backup drives. Note that backup drives for the copies of originals are never even touched without first closing Aperture and any other images management application. When the originals are found I create a new folder of images by copying, move that new folder on to the Aperture images drive, then eject the backup drive prior to opening Aperture or any other images management application.

My Nikons sequence image numbering every 9,999 (IMO it should be 99,999 minimum) so that means such a search will usually find multiple different images with the same number. That is not actually that big a deal because it is easy enough to visually identify the correct image among a dozen, and once one IDs one image the folder that backs up that specific project can easily be found.

Another option is a search of the backup drives by file date, or image number plus file date.

HTH

-Allen

original Master files lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.