Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete an account on my PowerMac

Hi,

I am currently running OS X 10.2.6 on my PowerMac G3 and I have been trying for several weeks to remove a user on it. I just purhcased it from a local preacher and I plan on reselling it but I need to get as much of his personal info off as I can. Here is what I have tried:

1. System preferences-users-delete user

I am doing this from another administrative account on the computer and a pop up comes up warning me of what I'm about to do, I click okay, and then it spirals for a long time. After it stops, the user is still in the pannel and I can still log in as that user but now there is a copy of it in the deleted user's folder

2. Terminal commands-

I typed in sudo rm -rf/users/username, I entered the pass word, and I got this response:

rm: illegal option

usage: rm(-f l i) (-dPRrvW) file...

Unlink file

So I tried sudo dscl . -delete /Users/username, I typed in the password, and it told me the user was not in the sudo folder

3. Delete the user's home folder from the "Users" folder

The computer just tells me I can't delete it because that user owns it.

I don't know what else to try! I've repared the disks, I completely wiped his personal disk, I've verified permissions.. please help!

Thank you!!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 3:19 PM

Did you have a space between -rf AND the /users/username ?

7 replies

Can't delete an account on my PowerMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.