Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To update, or not to update? That is the question

I'm still running on final cut 6.0.1 and on Motion 3.0.1 and on DVD Studio Pro 4.0.1 etc.

It has some bugs, but I've found work arounds for all the things I need. I never updated, because I found out that later updates would fix the old bugs, but would have new bugs. The last thing I wanted to do is spend another 3 weeks figuring out work arounds for the new bugs. Most of these bugs, or potential bugs concern compatibility between the different Final Cut studio family: importing motion files into final cut, DVD SP, etc.

Recently I used Final Cut Pro 7, the lastest updated version, and found out that Motion files weren't being imported correctly into Final Cut: the sound wouldn't work. What a waste of time trying to resynchronize with the orginal file in the timeline. This doesn't encourage me to update. At least my set-up imports the sound correctly.

But now, I need to convert MXF files into DV format (to do a multi-camera edit with orginal footage in DV). I haven't found a single free MXF to DV file converter for MAC, (perhaps you know one?) so I thought I'd import them and convert through FC Studio by installing a free plugin. However, to do so, I have to update. I'll have to make a choice.

Is there any place where I can see a list of all the compatibility bugs and known issues that still exist? Or is there a web page that lists all the work arounds?

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 4:56 PM

3 replies

To update, or not to update? That is the question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.