Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to make my powermac G5 run intel?

I have a very old computer... A powermac G5, and if any of you know how old it is, you know it can't run alot of things... one of my older brothers says that he will get a new computer but with his recent "promises" i can't trust that... And the G5 cant run steam because it's not an intel mac. Is there anyway to get steam and/or team fortress 2 running on a powermac G5 or to upgrade my computer for free? Thanks in advance!

PowerMac, Very old tower. Powermac G5

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 12:25 AM

3 replies

Jul 20, 2013 12:31 AM in response to ThatguyH

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The PowerMac G5 is a PowerPC-based Mac. This means that it has got a PowerPC processor and all the parts and firmware that belong to PowerPC Macs, for example, NVRAM, Open Firmware...

Open Firmware doesn't exist in Intel-based Macs and NVRAM has been replaced by PRAM. You will have to throw the whole computer, get a new logic board of a Mac Pro and install it in your Mac, and this is probable that won't work, being risky and very expensive. There isn't a way to make your PowerMac an Intel-based Mac

Is there a way to make my powermac G5 run intel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.