Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A nasty thing called "install.mac" has hijacked my Safari address bar search...

Yesterday I started trying to install Internet Explorer and a thing called DJVu in order to download a washing machine manual (I know...) and now my Safari and Firefox have both been hijacked by 'Install.mac' which I believe is a Genieo product. When I type a search into the address bar of either Safari or Firefox it automatically redirects to an Install.mac results page rather than Google. I can't find any evidence of either install.mac or Genieo anywhere on my mac in order to uninstall it. It seems to be hiding somewhere. Has anyone had the same experience and managed to get rid of the unwelcome guest?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 1:49 AM

79 replies

Jul 20, 2013 4:15 AM in response to cjlinstrum

How to remove "InstallMac" from Safari's homepage and default search

First you must uninstall it. <This link is a direct download>

Please read carefully the following step by step tutorials:

1. Click on Safari, located in the upper left hand corner of your screen.
  2. When the drop-down menu appears click on Preferences....
  3. Safari's General Preferences should now be displayed, overlaying your browser window.
    To modify the address of your home page, enter the desired URL in the edit field provided. To modify the search click on Default search Engine.
  4. If you would like to set the current Web page as your home page, click on the button labeled Set to Current Page.

User uploaded file

To remove from Firefox and to change the default search please follow these instructions:

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and click "Enter".
  2. Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.
  3. Type "keyword.URL" into the search box that appears.
  4. Right-click on the "keyword.URL" entry and click "Modify"
  5. Delete the text in the box and click "OK"

Jul 20, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Dr.Mac.

HI Dr Mac,

Thanks for that but I'd already tried it. The home page on Safari is fine - set to Google - and the address bar suggests that it's going to search in Google:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

But when I typein asearch text such as "apple discussions:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I get this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

and my page of results isn't a Google page but is instead like this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've reset Safari and looked for extensions but there aren't any.

It's not the most important thing in the world but it's bugging me.

Aug 27, 2013 10:51 AM in response to cjlinstrum

I was a little hesitant to run the uninstaller. I tried to do a search, but I don't know what's up with the Mac search function - maybe I don't know how to use it.

But, USUALLY, these types of things hide out in the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folders. Looking into them specifically I found:

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist

These two files may be reversed - that is, in the other folder

One more in the USER Library (this is hidden in Lion and Mt. Lion - so Use the "Go" menu item in Finder and hold down the Option key to get "Library" to show up. The file path is:

Macintosh HD/Users/<<username>>/Library/Preferences/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.pli st.

You'll need administrator credentials to trash the first two files. I emptied the trash - restarted and it appears to be working.

I also noticed that if you change the search engine from Google to, say, Bing, and then back to Google, the proper search window opens - that is, the Google search window. But that may only be a temporary solution - I suspect the malware will resurface later.

Hope this helps.

Sep 11, 2013 3:34 PM in response to cjlinstrum

I have done all of these things, including going into the terminal and getting rid of stuff--nothing is working. I use Chrome, but have Safari somewhere because something I use requires it. Do I need to go in and make changes in Safari, even though it hasn't been open since I installed a new hard drive in April? Do I need to check it on all my browsers, even the ones I don't use regularly? This is started to **** me off!!

A nasty thing called "install.mac" has hijacked my Safari address bar search...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.