Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Safari quit when all tabs/windows are closed?

I've noticed that if I close all tabs/windows of Safari and I'm not using it for a time, when I click on it in my dock, I realize the application has quit. I prefer to stay in 'private browsing' permanently, but from time to time, when I'm using Safari, I don't realize that I had re-opened it and now I'm no longer browsing in private. Then I have to clear history, and reset safari and everything.

Can't seem to find a thread for this specific problem. My suspicion is that this is something Apple changed about Safari at one point, thinking it's a benefit, the way you close System Prefs and it quits the application altogether, you know, as an energy-saving feature. But this is really annoying.

Why is this happening? Can I fix it?

MacBook (13-inch), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 5:55 AM

3 replies

Jul 20, 2013 4:06 PM in response to batmanbeyonce

Automatic and Sudden Termination of Apps

Automatic app termination manages the life cycle of apps behind the scenes, terminating apps that are not being used and allowing the reclamation of resources such as memory. With this feature, users no longer need to explicitly quit apps (although they still can, if they want to). Instead, the operating system is responsible for managing app processes with the goal of ensuring optimal system performance.

Mac Technology Overview: Cocoa Application Layer

Why does Safari quit when all tabs/windows are closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.