Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable TRIM on SSD Mac OS X Mountain Lion

I recently purchased and installed a Samsung SSD 840 Pro series on my MacBook Pro. I was reading up on SSDs and I heard something about enabling TRIM and how it makes the SSD last longer. How can I enable TRIM on my SSD on my MacBook Pro that's running Mac OS X Mountain Lion?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 5:01 AM

8 replies

Jul 21, 2013 3:59 PM in response to mende1

Is Trim Enabler compatible with Mac OS X Mountain Lion? Also, does TRIM make an SSD faster? What are the advantages of enabling TRIM on an SSD?

Jul 21, 2013 4:18 PM in response to Community User

TRIM is necessary as SSD have limited writes, so the new written data has to go to a less frequently used spot on the SSD.

It's a real shame Apple doesn't automatically enable TRIM on non-Apple SSD's, it knows when it formats it that it's one as it won't enable scrubbing.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-trim-support-for-all-ssds-in-os-x- lion/

Secure erase data on a Solid State Drive?

Nov 11, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Community User

Yes.

I have a 2011 i5 MacBook Pro with a Samsung 840 Pro and Mavericks and have Trim enabled with Tim Groths 'Trim Enabler' app. Have used it before as well on my snow leopard macbook with an 840 basic drive too and have had no issues. Works great.

Tried the mentioned chameleon above when I first installed mavericks, and it would not work at all on the release day even through it said it was tested on the beta versions of mavericks. Deleted it and used trim enabler as before and it worked straight away.

Great free tweak to enable trim.

You just need to turn it on after any OS update. ie 10.9.x

Nov 11, 2013 2:44 PM in response to jenzeee

Click about this mac>system info> more details> then in the sidebar of system profiler click on the Sata listing. Then scroll down in the right hand pane and next to trim it will say yes or no.

I think disk utility also shows this detail but I've not checked on mavericks. It used to on previous OS.

Or your Trim tweak tool should tell you. trim enabler does and I believe chameleon should.

You have to restart after enabling for it to take effect though.

Enable TRIM on SSD Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.