Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Domain Name on GoDaddy

I am getting ready to set up my Mac OS X Server and I want to able to have the server use my domain name that I have registered at GoDaddy for setting up my network.. but I don't want to impact the site hosting that I have configured at GoDaddy. Eventually I want to setup a network that I can VPN into and connect a few clients to the network, and share storage. I'm not sure if I am headed in the right direction... my background is in Windows Servers. I know. Things could get interesting...

Just need to know what I need to configure on GoDaddy, if anything to make it work.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Server

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 9:58 AM

1 reply

Jul 20, 2013 9:05 PM in response to nashgurl

You don't need to do anything with GoDaddy (except, maybe, add an A record that maps to your office network).

GoDaddy are (and should remain - at least for this discussion) the primary DNS host for your domain - anyone on the internet looking for any DNS record about your domain should go to GoDaddy for that, including the lookup of your vpn server's address.

However, on your private LAN you should run your own DNS server that knows about your private LAN clients (i.e. all the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x addresses). This would only ever be accessed by your LAN clients, so GoDaddy doesn't need to know about it.

Domain Name on GoDaddy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.