Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.0.4 installation failure on 10.6.8

After fighting with Lion for a couple years, I retreated to Snow Leopard several months ago. Just recently, I finally got around to connecting my iPad back up to my iMac, with the intention of adding a PDF file to iBooks. Lo and behold, the iTunes 8.0 installed on my restored Snow Leopard iMac did not even register my iPad. I attempted to update iTunes via the app store but had trouble connecting. Suffice it to say I finally was able to download iTunes 11.0.4 from Apple's support site. The image below shows the result. So just how does one report the problem to the software manufacturer? I've not yet turned up anything pertinate or helpful in my googling attempts.

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Installation Failure

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 9:31 AM

2 replies

Jul 20, 2013 2:36 PM in response to Red Path Walker

Red Path Walker wrote:

... I retreated to Snow Leopard several months ago. ...

"Retreating" is not something that's ever been supported by Apple. I suspect this is just the first of the obstacles you may expect to encounter.

Instead of retreating, I would suggest considering moving forward (to Mountain Lion), or at the very least, staying as advanced as you were (Lion). My strong suspicion is the latest iTunes found some remnants of Lion out there (in addition to the Snow Leopard) that it could not handle.

Jul 20, 2013 3:00 PM in response to sberman

Simply put my iMac is not compatible with Mountain Lion. As for retreating, I couldn't use my multi-drive to burn dvds or cds after I installed Lion. Which admitedly I didn't find out for a long time. I found the gesture based interface to be far more trouble than benefit for my tastes. In any case, the issue I want to discuss is not my decision to abandon Lion. It is how to update iTunes to the current version which is supposed to work with the version of OS X currently installed on my hardware. If you have suggestion on precisely how I can get some attention from Apple regarding this issue, that would be useful. The paucity of helpful information in the error dialog does nothing to help me find a solution to the issue. This seems to the the avenue for help that Apple is offering. Know of any diagnostic resource that would help identify the reason the installation is failing?

iTunes 11.0.4 installation failure on 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.