Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC Help, WoW Help, MacBook Help??

Hi Just a few questions.

I am a total geek when it comes to games and computers BUT I am brand new to MacBooks.

Its literally taken me a whole week just to learn how to change some of the settings on it, iv always been a PC guy.

Anyways....

How come when I go to install World of Warcraft or some other applications that say WILL work on the box they say that its not supported as PowerPC Is no longer supported?

I tried downloading the "TryMe" World of Warcraft from Blizzard and that installed without any problems.

I am just wondering if I am going to have to buy all these games again! and when they are going to start releasing them in this new appstore which has literally nothing worth downloading on it.

I want to be able to install my old games and programs. Is there any easy alternative I could get?

or

is apple going to release something in the next firmware?

Any input is helpful but mind keep it simple lol

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 4:12 PM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2013 6:36 PM in response to JmzMc

How come when I go to install World of Warcraft or some other applications that say WILL work on the box they say that its not supported as PowerPC Is no longer supported?

Because you're trying to install a version that's several years out of date.

is apple going to release something in the next firmware?

Not anything that will help you run PowerPC applications.

Jul 20, 2013 7:59 PM in response to JmzMc

JmzMc wrote:

Also I want to keep using Mac OS X and not have to install Windows using BootCamp

Use a virtualization solution: Oracle VirtualBox (free), VMWare Fusion ($50), Parallels Desktop ($80) + the license for whatever flavor of Windows floats your boat.

Cause face it, as much as we dislike the thing, sooner or later you need to do something in Windows in this modern world.

Jul 21, 2013 10:20 AM in response to JmzMc

Rather than negative replies and off-topic posts, here is some historical perspective for you:

When those games were released, the publisher did not anticipate that in 2006, Apple would migrate its complete line of computers from the PowerPC CPU platform to Intel.

Apple recoginizing that its existing user base owned substantial amounts of software that ran on the PowerPC platform, licensed a technology from a third party company that it included in its Intel version of OS X Tiger, then Leopard, and then optionally in Snow Leopard, which Apple called Rosetta. Apple's license to continue to include Rosetta with future versions of OS X (Lion, Mt. Lion and now Maverick) expired and the current owner of the underlying technology, IBM, was not likely to renew that license at a reasonable price.

So there are four established workarounds for dealing with PowerPC apps in an Intel world:

1. If you upgraded your Mac to Lion/Mt. Lion, restore Snow Leopard;

2. If you upgraded your Mac to Lion/Mt. Lion or otherwise have a Mac that can boot Snow Leopard, partition your hard drive or add an external one and install Snow Leopard into it and use the "dual-boot" method to run your PowerPC apps;

3. If available, upgrade your app to an Intel version, or find an Intel substitute app that will be able to open your data files, modify them and save them; or

4. If all else fails (for example, needing to run an Appleworks database on a new Mac that only boots Mt. Lion), install Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 8 to restore Rosetta functionality and be able to run most PowerPC apps:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

[click on images to enlarge]

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

PowerPC Help, WoW Help, MacBook Help??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.