Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I copy text with formatting in iphone 4

When I copy and paste text either within an app or from app to app, I lose formatting. Everyone seems to be asking how to lose the formatting, I want to keep it! Normal copy and paste always loses formatting. Is there something I'm not doing correctly?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 9:13 PM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2013 11:09 PM in response to Chris CA

OK. Your answer isn't strictly correct. Using EverNote app, when I copy text from another app and then paste it into a note, it pastes WITH FORMATTING! This means that the iPhone copy facility DOES copy the formatting. It only gets lost when you PASTE. The question is, HOW TO ENSURE THAT THE PASTE FACILITY DOESN'T ELIMINATE THE FORMATTING. Got any answers?

Jul 21, 2013 2:42 AM in response to Chris CA

That's a pretty pathetic answer, if you don't mind me saying so. I already discovered that myself. What I'd like to know is why EverNote can paste with formatting, while iPhones' built-in Notepad, and many other apps, can't. What's the technology behind the paste function that EverNote is tapping into? Designing a notePad app for iPhone is a pretty straightforward exercise, but the paste function defaults to no formatting. How do you get to paste with formatting?

Jul 21, 2013 9:24 AM in response to rex3842

What I'd like to know is why EverNote can paste with formatting, while iPhones' built-in Notepad, and many other apps, can't.

Because they are not designed to paste text with fromattting.

Not really sure what part you are not getting...

Notepad and other apps do not have formatted text.

Why not? Apple has not stated the reason.

Suggestions here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

how do I copy text with formatting in iphone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.