Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Windows 8 via Bootcamp

Hey guys,

i just had a question. (i think i just asked one 3 minutes ago, i have another one already 🙂)

1. I definetly need windows, so i was trying to use bootcamp to install windows 8 on my macbook air. So, just to make sure, there aren't any problems with installing windows 8, right? Is installing windows 7 more stable, or is it the same?

2. I don't know how to install windows using bootcamp AT ALL. Is it an easy process? You don't have to tell me the steps, just wanted to know if it's doable for the majority of people.

3. If you don't have an optical cd drive on the macbook air, how do you download windows? Do you have to put it in a usb? If so, how do you move an entire installation package to a usb? (i am not going to buy a apple superdrive thingy...)

4. Are there any companies that install windows for you instead if you pay them? I used to live in Korea, and there are several companies that do stuff like that...just wondering if there are any in the US.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 2:20 AM

9 replies

Jul 21, 2013 2:26 AM in response to andy1cool

1. There aren't any problems installing Windows in Boot Camp. You just have to follow the steps carefully > http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.8.pdf

Most of users prefer Windows 7 now because of the Windows 8 interface. From my experience with a PC, the Windows 7 and 8 performance are very similar, but the interface may be confusing if you don't know how to use Windows 8. Microsoft is preparing Windows 8.1 as a free update for Windows 8 that will be released this year, and that can be installed in Windows 8 if you want > http://preview.windows.com

2. It's easy if you know how to do it. See the link of the question 1. You just have to be careful in the partitioning step, because if you select the wrong drive, you will lose everything. Make a backup.

3. Windows 8 can be purchased as a download in the Microsoft Store > http://www.microsoftstore.com You will get a ISO image that you can burn onto a USB drive using Boot Camp Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities).

4. I wouldn't rely on those companies. The process to install Windows on Boot Camp is a bit different, and if they do something wrong, you will lose all the data

Jul 21, 2013 2:39 AM in response to mende1

thanks, you seem to know a lot about these stuff! 🙂

anyways, i had another few questions, i hope you don't mind.

1. So if i just download the Windows 8 file on my USB drive will i automatically have the ISO image of it? or are there any further steps to take?

2. I'm using a windows computer so i cant see the price of the windows 8 package ( i can only see the upgrade price). Could you be able to tell me the full price of windows 8? (not the update package)

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2013 2:48 AM in response to andy1cool

1. If you purchase Windows 8 from the Microsoft Store, you will get it in a ISO image. Open Boot Camp Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities) and it will create the USB drive with the Windows 8 installer.

2. Microsoft only sells the upgrade version in the Microsoft Store as far as I know. If you want the full version, you will have to look for the System Builder version at Amazon or NewEgg. This version comes in a DVD, so in this case, it's better to install Windows through the DVD

Install Windows 8 via Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.