Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac-compliant software for Dell monitor?

I am in the process of buying a Dell P1913S monitor for my Mac mini because its screen dimensions and high resolution suit my requirements. I have established, from posts in the Apple Support Communities and from online reviews, that, though the software that comes on a disk with the monitor is Windows-specific, the monitor will work on a Mac as soon as it is plugged in, without installing any software. I also understand, however, that the on-screen adjustment facilities will not work on a Mac.

This may not matter, as there are also manual controls, but I wonder if anyone knows of any source of Mac software (driver?) for the P1913S monitor?

Dell are more than tight-lipped about Macs. Their users' forum just directs one to the Apple forum. As the Peripherals forum here seems to be for older devices only, I am posting my question in this more general Mountain Lion forum. I should be very grateful for advice.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 5:44 AM

23 replies

Feb 26, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Kotep_

It's been almost 4 years since anyone posted to this topic. Any particular reason to dredge it up?

Also, you say another user's post is incorrect, and you can indeed rotate the monitor to portrait mode if you get a driver. Well, okay? Where is this driver? For a Mac? It's already been stated the only drivers provided by Dell to do that are for Windows.

If you know something the rest of us don't, supply a link to this Mac driver. Otherwise, just saying it doesn't make your statement true.

Jul 21, 2013 5:56 AM in response to Michael Graubart

There aren't usually any drivers for monitors with Mac OS X, because it is not necessary.

Anything that a driver would provide is often not necessary, as there is usually an alternate hardware control or part of the operating system that performs the same function.

Most you may have to worry about is calibrating the monitor's display of colours, using the Displays preference pane.

Jul 21, 2013 5:56 AM in response to Michael Graubart

There is a non-Apple 27 inch monitor behind this text. Plug and play with my Mac mini. I calibrated it for color, used the monitors built-in manual controls to adjust it to my preference, and done. Same is true for my older Dell 24 inch monitor, also connected to my mini.

Even if there were Mac software available for this monitor (and there isn't), I have configured it correctly once, and have no subsequent need to "play" with the settings.

Jul 21, 2013 6:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, VikingOSX, too, and you confirm BeebarbX's reassuring message. But calibration — and occasional re-calibration — though it may be fun, is not 'playing'. Monitors change over time; a professional photographer whom I know well (I am not a professional, but I do edit photographs) re-calibrates his expensive Apple monitor regularly.

Jul 21, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Michael Graubart

MBP = MacBook Pro. I can get all 4:3 ratios, 16:9 and 16:10. I can not get 5:4 ratios and the Dell is a 5:4 monitor.(ie: I can't get 1280 x 1024) SXGA is the name of that resolution and it is rare (see chart) I am simply suggesting that you try this out before you buy one.

If you wish to use the 'screen rotation' feature you wil not be able to as it is in software, which s ony for Windows.

Mac-compliant software for Dell monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.