Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selling water damaged Macbook Pro (Model A1286, 15", mid-2012) for parts?

So I recently had an unfortunate incident where I spilled water on the keyboard of my MacBook Pro (A1286, 15", mid-2012, standard model). These were the results of Apple's assessment of the computer:

• LSI sensors under the battery were not tripped.
  • Top case does not work. Upon removal of the top case, the computer is able to power up.
  • HDD is not bootable. Disk verification failed, unable to repair. HDD wiped.
  • Oxidation on logic board.
  • AST passed.

I was told the top case would cost approximately $300, but that even if the top case were to be replaced, there's still no guarantee that on how long the logic board will last thereafter since water did make contact with it. After deliberating, I decided that, in the long run, it would be more cost effective for me to buy a new laptop instead of repairing this one. So here's my question: how much should I be selling this thing for parts for? And where would I have the best luck selling it? It's just over a year old (purchased July 9th, 2012), so externally it still looks pretty good (it does have a couple stickers on the top, but I'm planning on removing those before I sell it). I plan on leaving the HDD and battery in the computer. I also still have the original box and what not (no charger though), and I'm fairly sure I still have the OS X disks (although they're for Lion since I bought it shortly before Mountain Lion's release and then just digitally upgraded to Mountain Lion). I've poked around Ebay a bit to get an idea, but most of the MBPs being sold for parts on there have quite a few differences between mine, so I was hoping someone on here could give me a rough estimate of what a reasonable price to ask for my machine in particular is. Any help is much appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), A1286, 15", mid-2012

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 4:02 AM

Take a look at Craig's list as well. The market for non-functional MBPs is very small. If you can get 20 % of the original price, I would say you have done extraordinary well. Use your best judgement. See what responses you receive and be prepared to lower your price.

Ciao.

2 replies

Selling water damaged Macbook Pro (Model A1286, 15", mid-2012) for parts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.