Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won't reboot, install failed?

Hello guys, thank you for reading my question. I have a really irritating problem. Less than a year ago, a relative of mines dragged: terminal, disk utility, system preferences and every vital part of Mac in the trash and i emptied it without knowing. Now, I found my OSX disk that came with the Mac and i wanted a fresh start. I didn't back anything up ( I'm not sure if you had to). And I just tried to restore the hard drive. And when the Mac OS X disk was installing it keeps saying "install failed". I went to disk utility and tried to repair and verify the hard drive and it says that its ok? But when it says the install failed, it says the disk is damaged? I also tried resetting the pram and nvram. No luck. And I also zeroed out both the hard drive and the free space. I am getting desperate any tips or things to point me to the right direction would help, thanks guys. I will give you more info if needed

iMac

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 10:51 AM

1 reply

Jul 23, 2013 9:37 AM in response to PhDflops

Hello PhDflops,

Thank you for all the information you provided about the installation issue you are experiencing. I recommend reviewing the steps in the section titled "Troubleshooting an unsuccessful installation" in the following article:

Troubleshooting Mac OS X installation and software updates (Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1394

I also recommend backing up any data that you want to keep. If you are doing a regular install, it shouldn't erase your content, but it is always a good idea to keep valuable information backed up.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

My iMac won't reboot, install failed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.