Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 2 has suddenly starting "running by itself" ... randomly jumping around from file to file ... typing in search requests, flashing from photo to photo, opening and closing apps, etc. Help!

My iPad 2 has suddenly started jumping around from file to file ... typing in search requests by itself, flashing from photo to photo, opening and closing apps, etc. Can anyone help?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 12:02 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2013 4:07 PM in response to jrgeer123

I suspect that your accessibility features have been activated. The iPad is reading to you everything that is on the screen while simultaneously trying to interpret the taps/touches you enter on the screen. Leave it alone (don't touch the screen) until it stops reading.

Tap "Settings" to highliight the icon. Tap again to enter settings.

Tap "General" to highlight it. Tap again to enter "general."

Use the same techniques to enter accessibility.

If at any time you need to scroll, use three fingers.

Make sure the following items are toggled "off." voiceover, zoom, speak selection Speak auto-text.

Jul 23, 2013 5:13 PM in response to Dirty Vegas

Thanks for responding. I did as you suggested, but all the items were already off. The problem now is that it doesn't do this random jumping all the time. I drove to the Apple Store to get help. In the parking lot, it was still jumping around. I walked into the store, and it would not do it! I tried for ten minutes to get it to start jumping, but no success. I went back home, and later that night it started again! I'm very frustrated. Guess I will continue to try to demonstrate it at the Apple Store.

Sep 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to jrgeer123

I have had exactly the same problem now with two mini iPads. Everything was tried; 1) restarting; 2) restoring factory settings etc. NONE worked. Eventually Apple agreed to replace it. I have had the replacement now for two to three months and exactly the same thing is happening again. So off to Apple tomorrow to get another replacement.

I am quite a heavy user of the iPad so wonder if this is something to do with the fault.

It is so frustrating as sometimes reset works, and then after 10/20/30/40 minutes (you pick) it goes unstable again.

My iPad 2 has suddenly starting "running by itself" ... randomly jumping around from file to file ... typing in search requests, flashing from photo to photo, opening and closing apps, etc. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.