Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you save photos from import or Photo Stream to an album?

How do you save photos from import or photo stream to an album? I have a MacBook Air (which keeps telling me my start-up disk is full) and I am trying to organize photos so there aren't duplicates and triples. I have photos in events, last import, photos and albums....I feel like they are all taking up space. If I move a photo from photo stream to an album, then delete the photo from photo steam its deleted from the album. That doesn't make sense to me. There should be a way to clean up photo stream, and events, and last import by putting photos into albums. Even more bizarre; I imported photos from my 4S, and only a fraction of them transferred over.

I am completely lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

sarah

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 1:51 AM

and I am trying to organize photos so there aren't duplicates and triples. I have photos in events, last import, photos and albums....I feel like they are all taking up space.

Sarah,

Only the photos you are seeing in the events and the Photo Stream will take up space. iPhoto stores each photo only one. After you import it, it will be assigned to one event.

Then you can use it in many albums and projects. Using the photo this way will only reference the one single copy of the photo in the event. The albums don't store the photos and do not require additional space. If you delete a photo from an event, it will be removed from all albums that have been using the this photos.

What you are seing are not actually duplicate photos but different ways to access the same photos.

The "Last event" is the same event as the last one you imported. It is there for a quick access to your recently imported photos. Photos is a quick access to all photos in your library as an endless stream of photos. These are also no duplicates.

So if you want to save space and delete photos, do that by browsing your events. Deleting a photo from an event will delete the original image file and remove the photo from all albums, books, and other products. You have only duplicate photos, if you are seing the same photo twice in an event.

Even more bizarre; I imported photos from my 4S, and only a fraction of them transferred over.

That is a different problem, but it may be related to to fact that you need to free space.

If you get a warning, that the system needs space, don't do anything but update the backup of your mac and move files to an external disk to free space.

It is not save to keep working, when the system is running out of space.

How much free space do you have? Anything below 15GB free space is really critical.

-- Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2013 1:51 AM in response to smickalsen

and I am trying to organize photos so there aren't duplicates and triples. I have photos in events, last import, photos and albums....I feel like they are all taking up space.

Sarah,

Only the photos you are seeing in the events and the Photo Stream will take up space. iPhoto stores each photo only one. After you import it, it will be assigned to one event.

Then you can use it in many albums and projects. Using the photo this way will only reference the one single copy of the photo in the event. The albums don't store the photos and do not require additional space. If you delete a photo from an event, it will be removed from all albums that have been using the this photos.

What you are seing are not actually duplicate photos but different ways to access the same photos.

The "Last event" is the same event as the last one you imported. It is there for a quick access to your recently imported photos. Photos is a quick access to all photos in your library as an endless stream of photos. These are also no duplicates.

So if you want to save space and delete photos, do that by browsing your events. Deleting a photo from an event will delete the original image file and remove the photo from all albums, books, and other products. You have only duplicate photos, if you are seing the same photo twice in an event.

Even more bizarre; I imported photos from my 4S, and only a fraction of them transferred over.

That is a different problem, but it may be related to to fact that you need to free space.

If you get a warning, that the system needs space, don't do anything but update the backup of your mac and move files to an external disk to free space.

It is not save to keep working, when the system is running out of space.

How much free space do you have? Anything below 15GB free space is really critical.

-- Léonie

Jul 22, 2013 5:12 PM in response to léonie

Leonie!

Wow...Thank you for your help! So helpful!

I do have a few more questions.....

It looks like I have 4GB of free space available on the MacBook. Thus I need more....any recommendations? I was thinking a terabyte...just for my music and pics; what do you think of the Passport?

Then....when I get an external hard drive; the events that I have merged and organized the way I want, will stay organized as such when I move them to the hard drive? Or will I have to reorganize them again?

Thank you so very much!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Sarah

Jul 22, 2013 5:27 PM in response to smickalsen

Depending on your needs - 1 TB should be fine

Make sure it is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and is connected on a wired connection

Drag your iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option and command keys, launch iPhoto and use the select library window to point to the new location

Everything will be exactly the same

Be sure your backup is backing up the new extrnal drive

after fully testing the iPhoto library in the new location you can delete it on the interal drive

The new EHD must always be available when you launch iPhoto

and if you want a small library on your MB and all photos on the EHD you can do that and use IPLM to move events between libraries

LN

How do you save photos from import or Photo Stream to an album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.