Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map App Prob.

My Map App has decided to place me in Southampton, 600 miles away from me on the East Coast of Scotland. Haven't been there ! Planned routes impossible to make, same thing when I go to the AA Routefinder Site. How do I clear this and re-establish my correct home position ?

iPad

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 9:38 AM

Hello there, Hughjrw1.

The following Knowledge Base article has some good information on general Location Services troubleshooting:

iOS 6: Understanding Location Services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467

Particularly:

Improving GPS accuracy2,3

GPS accuracy varies depending on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. Use these tips to improve GPS accuracy:

• Ensure the date, time, and time zone are correctly set on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.

Important: Incorrect settings on your computer can sync to your device. Verify the date, time, and time zone on any computer that syncs with your device.

• Restart your device.
  • Verify that you have a cellular or Wi-Fi network connection. This allows the Assisted GPS (A-GPS) on the device to locate visible GPS satellites faster, in addition to providing initial location information using the Wi-Fi or cellular networks.

Note: Microcells (sometimes called Femtocells) are not supported with Location Services.

• Maintain a clear view of the horizon in several directions. Keep in mind that walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this occurs, your device will automatically use Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position, until the GPS satellites are visible again.

Additionally, you may want to use the following Troubleshooting Assistant if the issue persists:

Apple - Support - iPad - Applications Assistant

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/application/

Cheers,

Pedro D.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2013 9:38 AM in response to Hughjrw1

Hello there, Hughjrw1.

The following Knowledge Base article has some good information on general Location Services troubleshooting:

iOS 6: Understanding Location Services

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467

Particularly:

Improving GPS accuracy2,3

GPS accuracy varies depending on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. Use these tips to improve GPS accuracy:

• Ensure the date, time, and time zone are correctly set on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.

Important: Incorrect settings on your computer can sync to your device. Verify the date, time, and time zone on any computer that syncs with your device.

• Restart your device.
  • Verify that you have a cellular or Wi-Fi network connection. This allows the Assisted GPS (A-GPS) on the device to locate visible GPS satellites faster, in addition to providing initial location information using the Wi-Fi or cellular networks.

Note: Microcells (sometimes called Femtocells) are not supported with Location Services.

• Maintain a clear view of the horizon in several directions. Keep in mind that walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this occurs, your device will automatically use Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position, until the GPS satellites are visible again.

Additionally, you may want to use the following Troubleshooting Assistant if the issue persists:

Apple - Support - iPad - Applications Assistant

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/application/

Cheers,

Pedro D.

Jul 24, 2013 11:53 PM in response to pedro d

Thanks for your reply & help PedroD - but - still no joy ! :( - I am still in Southampton, albeit with a wider circle round the blue dot. I can't remove / restart the App, as its a built in one. I tried removing my location in Privacy settings, but still in Southampton ... Looks like I'll have to move house 600 miles south..

Map App Prob.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.